Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He is adamant - "don't put me in a home!"

We had that discussion again last night. I will have to re-evaluate when he gets to that point. Hopefully it won't happen, I've got some plans. So far, his neurology team says he is in mid-stage. He has his ADLs, still driving short distances but I have a tracker on him and he's still doing ok.

I have pretty much decided I'm not going to be able to leave him for any overnight trips to my sisters' and we are going to try to go on a short trip to a town he's familiar with in a few weeks. He's already having trouble with that, unfamiliar places are confusing him and he doesn't remember how to get there so I do all the driving outside his daily routine trips.

I hope to keep him at home, there are options. It's getting harder but also easier to help him with his remote or phone - he gets frustrated and I let him get in the weeds a bit, then I'll offer help. The other day he couldn't remember where things were in the kitchen and asked, what's it going to be like in a year? I can't answer. I don't know. We'll see, is all I say.

Comments

  • Sweetwater
    Sweetwater Member Posts: 84
    Ninth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    I agree with Michele P, sounds like he probably should not be driving.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited April 19

    please have a Plan B. Will you be able to care for him when he becomes incontinent and bedridden or will you hire 24/7 caregivers? What happens if you are no longer physically able to care for him? No need to discuss it with him. It will only cause him anxiety. Just assure him you will always be there for him. I agree he should no longer be driving or be left alone. It’s not safe.

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,073
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    My husband will often ask me what I am going to do with him. I always assure him he will stay with me. I do that for him. I know the reality, but I don’t want him becoming stressed over future possibilities. As for driving. Dementia affects so much more than memory. Reaction time is delayed, a stop sign can be missed. Comprehension of any changing moment may be non existent. It’s a dangerous situation because you truly do not know when his brain will not understand how to turn on windshield wipers, put on a seatbelt or which is the break pedal. My insurance company told me he would not be covered in an accident. You could literally lose everythjng. This is one of the hardest things to deal with, their loss of independence.

  • beachwalker5
    beachwalker5 Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Please forgive me rocky mountain girl for piling on with the "no driving" comments above but your most immediate priority should probably be to stop your DH from driving. Driving is probably among the current greatest risks to his welfare as well as yourself and others. My DW is still pissed at me for the decision SHE made to sell her car which needed costly repairs (her decision at the time but now it's my fault…thank God her cat. converter died!). I'd rather have her mad at me than to live with the risk of her driving. Best of luck to you with your DH's driving issue along with all the other issues that come up.

  • rockymtngrrl
    rockymtngrrl Member Posts: 25
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    Re driving; he's had a formal evaluation and given a thumbs up. I ride with him, have him on a tracker. So far so good. It's a very small town. My plan is to take it day by day. He's mostly aware and competent but has his moments. The financial stuff is gone so I control that.

  • howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 396
    500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    "don't put me in a home!" just crushes your heart. Knowing your loved one still recognizes the world enough to hold that fear and openly say it to us is so, so hard. My DW said that, asked me not to do so, pleaded at times and each time I crumbled but tried to assure her I would do my best. We never know what tomorrow will bring and I agree that making promises that may become impossible to keep is tricky. However, I believe maintaining our loved one's peace of mind while they are still able to understand what is going on is of the utmost importance. This disease teaches us, as care givers, how to tell little lies to protect our loved one. I felt that reassuring my DW that I would do anything and everything to keep her with me at home while she was still aware was most important. I was lucky and it worked out but I was also always prepared to change if needed. Good luck to you, it is so hard but I will always feel blessed that I was fortunate enough to fulfill my "promise".

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more