Living with Alzheimer's
I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago. To others living with it - keep busy! I have joined a book club at the local library (which also offers activities), walk at the local park daily, church actiivities, senior citizen club, etc. Keep engaged! The Neurologist who diagnosed my illness was cold and offered no suggestions on going forward. My suggestion keep positive and don't let this defeat you!
Comments
-
Good suggestions. I was diagnosed about four years ago. I am an introvert, having to stop workin (which was my built in source of meeting people and making friends) and that on top of having Alzheimer's and memory sucks and I sometimes forget what I was saying in the middle of a sentence and I am embarrassed I find it difficult to go out and meet new peeps. But I am trying. Went to a Senior Center for the first time and met a couple of peeps. Went back a few days later and none of them were there and didn't stay long. I am working on it tho. Telling me to "just do it", which I have been told lot, doesn't work. I am going to join a group that meets to do Tai Chi next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
5 -
I was diagnosed about 1.5 yrs ago. I am fortunate to have been able to move in with family. I do have some opportunities for socialization beyond that.
I have been involved in Scouting as an adult and a youth for about 60 yrs, and I'm helping two local troops as a Committee Member. I have 4 college friends who've rallied around me and we have a 2-4 hour Zoom call every week.I also have 2 lawyer-friends who I've known from a law firm I worked for ages ago-- they call to check in every so often
So far, things are good. Sometimes, I'll mix up words or use the wrong ones. No other serious symptoms- I thank my lequmbi infusions for that. It's so important to have social support- sometimes you have to go find it. Another important thing is to keep a positive but realistic attitude. Be grateful for what you have. Try not to obsess about AD
Larry
1 -
I agree with you. I am 80 yrs. old, diagnosed with Alzheimer's one year ago. Your neurologist sound like mine. I could not feel comfortable with him, and he certainly didn't give any advice on moving forward except the infusions. Long story short: I chose not to get any infusion. I try to stay active, etc., and so far so good. I am doing ok. The best to you. I like to hear from upbeat people who are not giving up with this devastating diagnosis. You can email me if you would like to stay personally connected: [email protected] My name is Dorsey ( I am a lady )
1 -
Thank You for your post. You inspire me!
1 -
Are you taking any meds or otc remedies? if so which ones are effective?
0 -
Sounds like the same neurologist I went to who diagnosed Alzheimer's 1 yr. ago. He seemed uninterested in discussing anything except the diagnosis. I have an appt. with new neurologist in Sept.
0 -
Ok
0 -
Hi gary105,
I am taking meds. Memantine, Galantamine, Doneprezil for symptoms etc and Leqembi infusions that are supposed to help remove the plaque from the brain. Have taken 16 infusions. It appears to be helping little.
GE
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help