Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another new development…

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 260
500 Care Reactions Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes
Member

The past 3-4 weeks DH has been coming into the kitchen every 10 minutes while I am making dinner looking to see if dinner is ready. It is really putting pressure on me to get dinner ready immediately! Tell him I will let him know when it’s ready but doesn’t do any good . Anyone deal with this and how do you handle it? Any suggestions welcomed! Tks!

Comments

  • Jeff H
    Jeff H Member Posts: 223
    250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    If your DH is constantly asking when the meal is ready, is it because he is hungry or is he just being persistent? Hunger fuels Alzheimer's agitation from what I have seen. I have protein bars at the ready to give to my DW if she can't wait until the meal has been prepared. It works if hunger is the issue.

  • JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 260
    500 Care Reactions Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes
    Member

    Thank you.. great insight and suggestions.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    Is it possible he is feeling antsy/agitated? It may be more a lack of patience rather than actual hunger. Is he feeling lonely without you in the room with him? I hope you can figure something out.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    That sounds really frustrating.

    Some strategies that might help—

    Think about what he is really seeking. This might be a form of shadowing. You may be automatically thinking he's hungry when he is unsettled because you aren't in the room with him. Starting in the middle stages, orientation to time can be really off— he may feel like you've been gone all day when it's only been 20 minutes.

    FWIW, my mom found this aspect of life with dementia very challenging. Dad's baseline was less than pleasant with her and yet she was like his security blanket. He took to the sofa in his dementia which bored mom— stupid TV shows and repetitive stories. She would try to "escape" by cooking and doing chores in other rooms which only agitated him.

    Think about the sorts of meals you're making. Are there things you can assemble earlier in the day (say right after breakfast or while he naps) or in batches that could be heated in the over without you needed to babysit them or that need only a quick sauté stovetop? Can you save time using pre-cut veggies or bagged salads? A meal prep service or store-made entrees that can be heated at home?

    If he's legit hungry, maybe it makes sense to either have an afternoon snack to keep his blood sugar level or offer him an appetizer of cheese and crackers or raw veggies in the other room. Or sit him down to start on his soup or salad.

    Good luck with this. Your emotions matter, too.
    HB

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Ask your husband to help.

  • tboard
    tboard Member Posts: 346
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My DH did that. I would offer him a snack or a beverage. Also I often made his breakfast ahead of time and heated it up in the morning. That worked with other meals too. I could get them on the table pretty quick.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sharingpeace45
    sharingpeace45 Member Posts: 5
    Third Anniversary First Comment 5 Care Reactions
    Member

    Oh my gosh..this is my life daily. I have decided it is shadowing. If I go in the closet to change into lounging clothes, he goes into the closet to change into lounging clothes. If I shower, he finds a reason to go in there. I still work remotely and the second he hears my office door open, he darts out there and follows me into the kitchen and shows me all of the most random things he has found on his phone. Same with cooking. I don't think it has anything to do with agitation, but I def think it gets worse as it gets later in the day, like sundowning. But I just think he can't pay attention to anything any longer and he is looking to me for entertainment. I can't read a book at night or even send a text message without him asking questions. It's like he has to have my attention focused on him at all times and if he doesn't he starts acting out and making all of these random sounds or pretending to hum a song that doesn't exist. Such a bummer for you. I have heard some people say it is a phase and only lasts so long, but for now, I feel like I am losing my mind for sure. Hang in there.

  • Cardenas1816
    Cardenas1816 Member Posts: 41
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    My husband was like this so I switched to a chef-made meal delivery service just for his meals. I use Cook Unity. He loves the meals and most are just 3 minutes in the microwave to heat up.

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    howhale how very insightful. You are right when it's over its finished, no more of anything, my life my love gone. I am not looking forward to that. My Doctor said to me yesterday don't cry now he is still here with you somehow find the strength to rejoice in that, save the tears for when he is not here and you are alone. Sounds a little brutel but it's too true.

  • howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 396
    500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    You are lucky to have a doctor with that understanding of the reality of the disease and being the caregiver for one afflicted. I almost never cried during her illness because we cannot in front of them and we are so consumed with caring for them. Afterwards, almost ten months after now, I don't know if the crying will ever catch up with what I held in. See the joy in being able to hold that hand, touch that body, kiss that cheek, look into those eyes. All the best to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more