Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just another day

Geot
Geot Member Posts: 114
250 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

I took my DW out shopping for a new pair of sneakers, found a pair she loved. The next day we were going out and she wore the new sneakers and raved about them. When we got home she put them back in the box and placed them on the couch. The next morning I noticed the sneakers were gone from the couch but didn't say anything, just figuring she put them away sometime during the night. We decided to go out again to do some errands and she could not find the new sneakers. We looked all over the house but could not find them, she was so upset. I just told her to wear other shoes, and we will look for them when we get back, she worried about the sneakers the whole time we were out. When we got back another search was on and I found them under the bed in the box. She then started crying and saying "why can't I remember I did that." I felt so bad for her I just hugged her and said it's ok we found them and that is all that matters trying to just calm her down. At that moment I remembered what some wise person (howhale, I think) that made a comment that has stuck with me. Just love and comfort them as best as you can "because once it is done, we cannot go back. There are no do overs.

Thanks for listening

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Dear @Geot

    You did great! Bravo! And I bet it felt good. Glad you found those sneakers!

    @howhale and so many others give us such good advice. I am so glad we found them.

    Sending you a big hug 💝 and a hearty pat on the back for your quick thinking.

  • Geot
    Geot Member Posts: 114
    250 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Jgreen..I am so glad I found them as well….no one not even family or friends really know what it is like to live with this horrible disease 24/7 but the great people here. Thank you.

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My DH thinks (or sees) the “other people” here in the house (there are no other people) and he worries that his important items will be taken when he's sleeping. So he hides his wallet, his cell phone, his glasses, etc in his favorite hiding places. I’ve finally come to know the places to look, and under the bed is one spot. Also under the mattress on his side of the bed, inside his pillowcase, inside his briefcase, inside his 2 suitcases, and in his dresser drawers under the t-shirts and underwear.
    When the missing item is found, he of course is convinced that someone, not him, put it there. This behavior is harmless but annoying cuz I spend several hours a week searching for his things!!! I’ve been hiding my purse and keys for a couple years now cuz he would take those also, so that the other people wouldnt get them. One time we were stuck in the house for three hours while I searched for my keys. It’s not a fun activity. ☹️

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    What a familiar story. I bought my DW a new pair of Sketchers and within one day she had lost I shoe. I tore the whole house apart looking for them for over a week. Could not find the shoe so I bought another pair for her. Funny thing is about a day later the missing shoe somehow showed up out of nowhere. Now we have two pairs of Sketchers which is a good thing since most times she wears a different non matching shoe on each foot.

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Haha yep - my DH (stage 5) wears non matching shoes frequently. I realized a few months ago I have to look down at his feet before we leave the house to make sure his shoes match. In November when we got to our daughters house for thanksgiving, I saw he was wearing 2 LEFT SHOES !! Now how can that even be comfortable?!?! Daughter and I had a chuckle over that !!

  • Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 337
    250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    Houdini had nothing on a dementia patient. I watched a LO walk to the mail box on the street , walk straight back in with the mail , sit down and the mail never appeared again. From Informed Delivery knew exactly what the mail was , never seen again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more