Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Scammers

Millerps1
Millerps1 Member Posts: 5
5 Care Reactions First Comment
Member

Hello, anyone had issues with their DH being vulnerable to scammers? I have had to change the cell number, delete What’s App and FB messenger. In addition, limited the debit card to certain amount of ATM transactions and point of sales. I have also taken away credit cards. It’s been a terrible weekend getting scammed for over a $1000.

Comments

  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 953
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Oh yes! Even the best of us have fallen victim to these unscrupulous criminals, let alone someone with cognitive deficits. Whenever the phone rang, DH would run to answer, and I'd hear him answer "yes." This horrified me because the other side could be recording his "yes" and apply it to agreeing to whatever it was they were "selling." So all internet access, financial access, phone access, etc. have been taken away. It's the only way I know how to protect us from evil doers while we navigate this horrible disease.

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My DH is long past being able to do us any financial harm. He doesn’t any longer know how to log on and access the internet or use his cell phone (I put TikTok on his phone so he can still, with help, watch the videos).
    But there was a difficult time a few years back in 2021 that he was answering every scam phone call and making “friends” on Facebook. Total damage: about $300 on gift cards sent to strangers “in need” and two new iPhones sent to an “admirer” in California (but who was really it turns out a scammer in Ghana). He was being reeled in on an expensive investment when I found out what was happening and alerted the bank and the brokerage holding his retirement accounts, and put a lock on his accounts. I also called to his credit card companies to report fraud which caused the accounts to be cancelled. And I made sure he “lost” his debit card.
    This is a difficult phase to go thru. I hope it passes quickly for you.

  • Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 544
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    I have mentioned this before but for your info… My DH responded to a scam on FB. He called the accompanying phone number and they wanted him to do such and such. Luckily, I caught it in time, but this was scam number two for him. My DH has a VOIP …OOMA. With their system I was able to limit all incoming and outgoing calls to just those numbers that I entered into his contact list. I have been told that you can also do this on IPhone. It is also my understanding that the ALZ society shop has such a phon

  • Barbie300
    Barbie300 Member Posts: 68
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    I have had that problem with texts and phone calls. He gets texts such as ones saying he owes money for a toll not paid. I caught him once about to put in a credit card number. Luckily he didn’t and hasn’t done any of that since, but I keep a close watch on him.

  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Member

    This was years ago, but my MIL was scammed by people who went door to door posing as a Veteran's organization. She would write them a $35 check monthly. It took us a while for us to catch this scam - at the point in her decline that I took over her banking, I noticed that the organization that cancelled the check was NOT a Veterans organization - it was scammers know to the State of California. So beware of door to door scammers, and maybe remove access to the checkbook too. Also, my DH currently has a GrandPad - a device sold by Consumer Cellular that is a stripped down tablet / phone made simple for seniors to use. At this point he's not really competent to make or receive calls, but he likes to play the games on it. The GrandPad is programmed to only receive calls from family and friends.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    Sadly, it’s very common. Take away the phone and all internet capability. Monitor the mail. Answer the door yourself.

  • tboard
    tboard Member Posts: 346
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I locked everything down after my DH tried to pay for someone to go into his computer and fix it. I took his debit card. He never realized it was gone which kind of proved my point that he could no longer manage it. I always made sure there was at least $20 in his wallet but no more than $40 so that he always has money.

  • Call me Gram
    Call me Gram Member Posts: 181
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Member
    edited June 12

    Question… do those door signs work? (The ones that say, "No solicitors") I know it doesn't cover all the scammers, but we have so many people coming to our door these days.

    I haven't tried one of those signs yet, but I can be pretty rude to people who come to my door trying to sell me something (or to tell me who I should vote for, etc). Unfortunately, my DH will talk to them.

    Today, I had just stepped out of the shower when the doorbell rang, so DH answered it. The salesperson asked if he could come back, when he could talk to both of us about a security system he was selling. DH told him we wouldn't be here because we are meeting people for dinner. 🤐

    A few months ago, DH told a salesperson where he went to college and where he grew up.

    I just now put a sign on the inside of the door to remind DH to just say, "not interested" and I reminded him that it's okay to be rude. I think I need a new plan.

  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 530
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    For a year my wife was taking a "brain supplement" that I felt didn't do her any good. When she ran out, she did not know how to contact them, but they called her to get her to renew it. By this time I had taken all her credit cards and the check book, so she had no financial information to give them. I would listen in and sometimes I found it hard to not laugh at how frustrated they'd get.

  • Alan4HER
    Alan4HER Member Posts: 9
    5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes First Comment 5 Care Reactions
    Member

    Instead of a credit alert, I recommend contacting all three reporting agencies and putting a credit freeze on your accounts. This way, no one can open an account or take out a loan in your name. (You still have to protect yourself in all the other ways, but this helped reduce our potential scamming activity).

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more