From the NYT: The Pain of Caring for a Parent Who Abused You
Gifted link. C&P into your browser.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/06/15/magazine/elder-care-parent-abuse.html?unlocked_article_code=1.qVA.g6x3.dCf7rxwmWlbP&smid=url-share
Comments
-
That was a good read. I really feel for Carole. Thank you for sharing.
0 -
this knocked my socks off: one of the things I tend to do is feel sorry for myself caring for a mother who didn’t care for me. Just trying to contemplate the magnitude of having to do that in my home, full or even part time, makes my heart ache for so many in that exact situation.
0 -
Thank you for posting this as a gift article. It was very helpful for me to read.
I recently joined this discussion forum because I'm struggling with similar issues. I wouldn't say I was abused exactly, but I was badly neglected emotionally, and somewhat neglected physically. We have a lot of alcoholism and (often untreated) mental illness, and it's complicating my experience significantly. Not just in an emotional sense — the primary care giver (who is controlling all the arrangements) is not in great shape mentally or emotionally, and I'm worried about whether my parent with dementia is receiving enough care. It's not extreme enough to qualify as elder abuse/neglect, but worrisome nonetheless.
I'm so very tired.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help