Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Elder law attorney specific recommendations?

merribn
merribn Member Posts: 3
First Comment
Member
Please excuse if this is not appropriate to ask. I've been interviewing elder law attorneys for Medicaid planning for my early-stage spouse and am wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations for Northern NJ, Bergen County in particular.

Comments

  • Bowerbird
    Bowerbird Member Posts: 98
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    Someone recently posted this link, Maybe it will help you find one in your area. It is the only organization accredited by The National Bar Association to certify attorneys in elder and special needs law.

    https://www.nelf.org/find-an-attorney

  • Snipe
    Snipe Member Posts: 41
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    Member

    Or try the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, naela.org, website.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,354
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    This site may give you some basic information. It may give you some ideas for questions. Medicaid is so confusing.

    https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/medicaid-eligibility-income-chart/

  • merribn
    merribn Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Member

    Thanks all. I have looked at NELF and NAELA and spoken with some certified attorneys. It was just to see if anyone knew of someone they or a friend really liked. Just trying to figure out who to go with. Thank you for all who answered

  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 1,247
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, merribn, I don't live in New Jersey but maybe my experience will be of help. I went to three different Elderlaw attorneys before finding the best one for me. I only went to those who offered a free consult. The first one seemed to be talking from a set script and wanted a rather high fee for helping me. The second one was easier to talk to but didn't seem as knowledgeable as the first. The third one, which I hired, was not only easy to talk to, she explained everything in detail and language that I could easily understand. She charged a flat fee for her services and said I could call her as much as I needed. She also called and checked on me every other week. She took care of everything from start to finish and even a year later was still available to answer questions and help with filling out forms. And her fee was several thousand dollars less than the first lawyer I talked to. I hope you can find someone you feel confident with and who charges a fair fee.

  • merribn
    merribn Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Member

    Thank you White Crane, that's pretty much what I've been doing. Good to know that worked out for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more