Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Advice

dlobbs
dlobbs Member Posts: 10
5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment
Member

So, I am struggling getting my DH to take his meds. He has decided the meds is what is wrong with his brain. The meds are the only thing keeping him functioning as well as he is and he is starting to decline a little faster than in previous years.

I don’t argue with him or try to reason with him, but I just say wait until we see the doctor or leave them on table next to him and eventually he may take them. Every night he says I am giving him the wrong thing.

Any suggestions.

Comments

  • sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 47
    25 Likes Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    oh blessings to you! I am dreading that happening. I too look forward to responses.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi @dlobbs

    Same things work for me as @blacksparky mentioned.

    Be sure to talk with doctor or pharmacist first to make sure pills can be crushed. I learned that Depacote (particularly extended release) can’t be crushed. I am checking if there is a liquid form I can use next visit with PCP.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Yep the pill crusher and PBJs worked for us. Checked with doctor first. Now DW chews the one she will take instead of just swallowing it.

  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 976
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    staying calm and content ended up being much better for all involved instead of agitating my mom twice a day over something she did not want to do. We ended up offering meds ONCE and if she said no, that was the end of it. Putting the meds in rice pudding worked for awhile, til it didn’t. Unless meds are absolutely necessary for a painful condition, extending life with a progressive fatal disease is immoral. (JMO)

  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 976
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member
  • dlobbs
    dlobbs Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment
    Member

    Thank you for all your support. I have wondered about just crushing the medication and putting in his food but then immediately felt guilty for thinking about doing it.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Hi dlobbs

    I felt exactly the same in the early days. I was not comfortable giving DW meds without her knowledge.

    After we progressed and anxiety, frustration, and anger exploded I thought how horrible it must be to be in that state of mind ALL THE TIME For DW.
    Now we, as everything else on this journey, do what is best for our LO.

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,272
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member

    Ask the doctors what can be eliminated given a diagnosis of dementia combined with life expectancy. By that I mean if removing a medication doesn’t have consequences in the next few years, then maybe it’s not needed for him. Eliminate vitamins, etc. Eliminating unneeded medication is one of the first things hospice does(they keep it if removing it will cause discomfort).

    I will also say that mom had an un(mis) diagnosed UTI and she became scared of us giving her medication. A friend could visit and she’d take her medications if the friend offered them. Once her UTI was treated, she took her medication when offered.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    I told my DH that the doctor prescribed the pills to help his brain and he took them! Sometimes the simplest explanation works best. Go figure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more