Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What is Your Wife’s Name?

jgreen
jgreen Member Posts: 517
500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
Member

I’ve been dreading this day and it finally came - DH not knowing me! I thought I was prepared after reading what so many of you have already experienced, but that question hit me hard! I was speechless and caught by surprise. But I managed to take a deep breath, look DH in the eyes and stroke his cheek while I replied “My husband’s name is _____”. When he heard his name DH smiled and seemed pleased. So I guess I handled it okay.

On reflection, I think he was trying to ask “Are you my wife? What is your name?” So another grim milestone passed. At least I am his ‘safe’ person and one who cares about him. I will have to hang on to that.

I’m going to stop here because the tears are starting up again. Thanks for listening!

Comments

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 819
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    This is a gut wrenching thing and I’m so sorry you’ve had to face this. I will say that there were a few occasional times where my DH asked “are we married” or “are you my wife” but they were only isolated incidents. It did give me the gut punch though. Most of the time he seemed to know me and not ask questions about who I was, although I’ll never know if he knew I was his wife. But he knew me as his person. That was enough for me. Hopefully for you this was a one time thing. Sending a big hug 🫂 and again so sorry you’re at this stage.

  • wose
    wose Member Posts: 435
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    I’m so sorry, it is quite a jarring experience. I think I’m straddling the middle. Sometimes he doesn’t know me and that’s become a little more frequent. A couple hours ago he asked where the kids are. We don’t have children together. I was caught off guard and said I’m not sure. He then accused me of being a terrible mother. I know I posted about this a few weeks ago, but when he looked me in the eye and asked “where’s rose “ I had to turn away. He then called me on the phone and left me a message… all with me sitting right in front of him. It was really weird. I know this sounds harsh but I’m kind of wondering if it would be better for both of us if he no longer knew who I was. Like @blacksparky said, if could be a big relief and maybe easier on the caregiver. I know you’re not there yet and this milestone is so very painful. I too am sending you hugs and we are here and understand💙

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 894
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    it is gut wrenching especially the first time. I wept buckets when my DH first asked “what’s your name”. It still really upsets me it doesn’t always happen, but I have learnt how to process and answer. Quite simply I hold his hands and look into his eyes and say my name and we’ve been married for 56 years and I love you very much. He always looks so pleased and I think relieved.
    Here’s a story from a two days ago, I was preparing breakfast DH was outside with our Schnoodle I did hear some noises then I heard my name being bellowed from the bottom of the garden. I rushed outside all was fine he thought someone was coming in from next door (we have a 6’ fence all around) but I was overjoyed that he could shout my name in time of need. He has aphasia so speaks mainly word salad. Small joy, dam more tears.

  • Dizzy
    Dizzy Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Member

    My DW thinks that there’s three or more in our relationship (55 years married)

    She often asks me where’s Davey (me) or who’s or where’s your missus.

    Her late mum and sister are always somewhere in the house in the evening time. Sometimes I'm ushered close to her so the others can get into bed with us.

    That's the child is her I'm sure. She's still lucid when telling me.

    It's hard but I'm keeping her home with me for as long as it takes.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 517
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Dear @annie51 @blacksparky @wose @Biggles and @Dizzy

    Thank you for your kind words and stories. You all mean so much to me. We ARE going to get through this.

    Hugs to each of you 💝 💝 💝 💝 💝

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My wife is in MC and most of the time I don't know if she knows who I am when I walk in and say hi she smiles but when anybody walks in and says hi she smiles. I am sure she knows I am her husband sometimes by what she says but other times I just don't know. She never calls me by name except once a couple of weeks ago she tried and couldn't think of it so she called me bubba. I have no idea where that came from.

  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 1,246
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    My husband hasn't know my name in a few years. He still knows I'm his wife…most of the time but not my name. Once in a while he thinks I'm his sister and sometimes he goes back and forth between knowing I'm his wife and then thinking I'm his sister. I've gotten used to it by now but the first time it really hurt.

  • alifre
    alifre Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    Jgreen,


    I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. My husband forgot who I am about a year ago. The first time I realized what was happening it was devastating to me. We’ve know each other for 41 years, been married for 37.


    Today I’m devastated again because he’s gotten to a point where he gets agitated by my presence in our room so I’m moving to the spare room.

    Every time something like this happens is like a gut punch. I’m sorry I don’t have something positive to say but maybe knowing you’re not alone will bring some comfort.
    Hang in there.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 517
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Thank you, @White Crane Like you, I think this first time really got me. Hope I can start to get a thicker skin.

    ~J

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 517
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, @alifre

    Hate to be in this company, but there is some comfort in knowing I am not alone in this.

    ~J

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more