Partner not handling my deterioration well
I'm in Early Stage Alzheimer's and receiving Leqembi infusions. My friends say I don't exhibit much in the way of symptoms. My partner is not one to discuss the situation other than for passing on medical information and does not discuss feelings. He notices every slip and gets angry when I forget, make a mistake, get confused, etc. and gets irritable, impatient, rude, nasty, and disparaging. I ask him repeatedly to be patient as I'm can't control these things and to participate in a caregiver support group but refuses. It makes me sad, upset, and fearful of the future. Does anyone else experience this and have suggestions on how I can cope and how to get him help?
Comments
-
Welcome to the message board Slamet. I'm glad that you've found us.
I'm very sorry your partner is behaving this way. Let's hope its just their way of beginning to deal with your new reality. It can be a scary place for a partner, they don't know what to do, how to act, what to say - when in reality all you want is them to be the same. You can't get him through this stage, he has to do it on his own. Support groups are wonderful, and this is coming from someone who used to not support that idea.
Both of your worlds have changed from what you thought your future would look like. you can only control yourself and your emotions. Find a support group (or two) for you. Ask if he wants to participate and when you get 'no' from him leave it at that. Do what you need to do for you.
I'm sorry your not getting the support that you need. That's why we are here, to help you along this bumpy journey.
eagle
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
