Should you tell a dementia patient that what they think really happened did not
my mother is in early to mid stage of dementia from vascular changes and Alzheimer’s disease. She is either hallucinating things or dreaming g them and then insisting that they really happened. She then gets very anxious and angry about what she thinks happened Should we tell her that these things did not occur? How do we help her with her anger and anxiety. Sometimes her anger is directed at specific people because she thinks they have done or said things that they have not.
Answers
-
Hi eileen - Best is to never argue. Instead of saying 'that didn't happen', you could say 'Oh, my, we can certainly look into that'.
If she is particularly agitated (MIL has vasc and alz), you should let her doc know, as there could be a meds adjustment needed that can calm that down without being zombied.
1 -
I will attach a link to a similar discussion in caring for a parent. SusanB-dil has given great advice. I also attached a link about confabulation. I’m sure there is a lot more great information out there if you do a search. You-tube also has some great information on dementia. I like care blazers.
https://alzconnected.org/discussion/77009/moms-confusion-and-heartache#latest1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help