What I Miss
As my DH continues to lose his ability to live in the world we used to live in, this is what I miss:
Conversation that is without repetition and constant reminders of who or what we are talking about
Living one minute without being vigilant
Telling the one person (him) why I am sad, exhausted and hopeless
Uninterrupted sleep
Being able to leave him without guilt and worry
Telling the truth instead of fiblets and outright lies to him
Feeling like I want to be near him instead of wanting to run away from him
Sharing the everyday tasks of everyday living instead of being the responsible one and the boss of all decisions
Looking into his eyes and seeing him and not the changed person he is now
The list goes on and on…….
What do you miss?
Comments
-
My Hubby is in the early stages of all of this. MCI with mostly short-term memory issues. So I do miss not having to repeat myself frequently. I also miss being protected rather than the need to protect his hurt feeling when he is unable to understand what is being said. I fear all of the thing you listed because I know that is my future.
6 -
I miss him… all of him
I miss sex and conversationLaughter… not silence
Travel, curiosity, a future
Relatives who have disappeared and gone silent
I miss me and who I used to be with him.
7 -
I miss the gentle, easy going, mild mannered and soft spoken man I used to know. Now, he’s angry, combative and abusive.
I miss my peace and serenity
I miss my easy, relaxed and carefree vacations at the beach. Now, I fear I will never see it again.
I miss the baseball games we used to go to.
I miss his grandchildren…. the ones I helped raise that don’t know we exist anymore. They were the loves of my life and now at 13 and 11 I don’t know them but my heart aches for them…..6 -
I miss so very much.
The feeling of snuggling into bed at night and feeling protected, taken care of, and falling asleep thinking that all is well in the world.
Catching each other's eye across a room and knowing we each are thinking the same thing about the events in front of us.
Early on-set stole every thought of dreaming about retirement, travel, hobbies, expanding our hobby farm and, and, and
I miss the autonomy of shopping by myself at a pace I want. Not rushing home to DW or needing to bring her with me for the shopping cart shuffle in slow mo.
I miss planning anything for after 4pm. I miss days where my "to do" list was long and gave me a sense of productivity.
I miss meaningful and thought provoking conversations. Thank you Lord for this site where I can say these things out loud. Hugs to each of us….
7 -
I missed all the things you have mentioned while my wive was alive. And now that she is gone, I miss her.
6 -
This might sound strange but I try so hard not to miss all the things that have been said so beautifully. For what it's worth and while I still have the chance and my DH is still so sweet I try to find a meaning in our existence together. I do of course miss our past life, we have had such a wonderful, adventurous, challenging and exciting life. Since overcoming the initial shock and devastation of this disease, when I spent a year in mourning, writing poetry, disappearing into the depths of despair, I try everyday to make something wonderful happen, I try to hang on to the little things, to the moments we can share, to create something meaningful for us both, all between helping with his toileting needs and feeding him another meal with a spoon. My DH has aphasia so our wonderful vibrant conversations can never happen again. Our life is like it was 55 years ago, together and unknown. I want to hang on to this part of our life as part of our journey together without regret. I wonder how long I will be able to hold on to these ideals. I think this is a wonderful thought provoking question. Thank you WIG023.
2
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help