Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is it wrong?

cwb49
cwb49 Member Posts: 14
5 Care Reactions First Comment
Member

When considering a facility, is it wrong given we are not wealthy people, at this stage of my life

I do not need that type of help or assistance. Is it wrong to not want to be confined to a much smaller and restricted living space.

But then am I a banding her,

a banding her, even though I would be spending the majority of time with her., and is it harder on her to see me leave?

Comments

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,285
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member

    No it’s not wrong to consider staying in your own home when you place your wife. If you don’t need any help caring for yourself, then financial reasons is a good reason to only pay for her care. Wanting to keep your home after she moves to MC, a nursing home, or passes away is another good reason. Not being able to tolerate being around her 24/7 is another.

  • Ed's mom
    Ed's mom Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    We lived together on a farm for 30+ years, sold it 8 years ago, before LO was sick. cwb49, I wish we still there where she was happy and herself, I can even imagine maybe this wouldn't be happening. Our reality is we have to be in an apartment now, I can't do it alone. She needs more of my attention and I want to take care of her. I feel the same about MC, only if I can no longer do it. I made a commitment and promise, I don't think MC is abandoning your wife if you can't take care of her.

    I have no experience, what everyone says makes sense about visiting and slipping out. I don't want to even think that far ahead.

    It's hard dealing with these feelings isn't it cwb49, I just don't want to, I want 20 years ago.

  • RMremdler
    RMremdler Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Member

    I am 10 years younger than my DH and when he needs more care than I can provide at home, I will stay home and he will go to a care facility. Neither of us like it but it would be the best for both of us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more