Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nothing To Do

Karl38
Karl38 Member Posts: 34
Fifth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment
Member

My wife has advanced ALZ. She is reasonably mobile but in severe cognitive decline. She still recognizes me and depends on me for everything. She has no interests, can't read, can't follow a movie plot, can't play games, is not conversant and grunts and points instead of speaking. She needs to be doing something all the time and expects me to provide her with something to do. I take her on walks several times a day and we say nothing. It's driving me crazy. I have her in adult daycare 6 hours/day 5 days/week. I couldn't survive without this help but it's not enough. I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. How are others handling it. I would love to hear from you.

Karl

Comments

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 897
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    same same it’s awful

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 144
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Same situation with us, no answers. My highly intelligent DH would be mortified to know the extent to which his life has deteriorated and what a burden he has become on me and our family. It’s a long sad illness. I just try to keep on keeping on. Cancer is kinder, it usually resolves itself one way or another within a few short years.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more