Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ALZConnected Q&A Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

The header says there are eight new posts but i can't scroll and can only see the one post before mine? Im on a Kindle. Doesn't happen on my laptop

• M1

figured it out: there are now two pages, BUT THAT WAS IN A FONT THAT WAS TOO LIGHT TO SEE EASILY.

• M1

This is not a Facebook page. I would suggest getting rid of the cakes and badges, the "like" and "care" and "insightful" markings. None of us want to be here except that we need the support and this is not a popularity contest. If someone wants to respond to a post, they can write a comment. But I feel sure that you won't do this, so I will just try to ignore.

Delete and edit function is needed. Sometimes we post things that we then want to retract and you should allow your members to have that option.

• M1

One more thing (I feel like I'm usurping the space this morning): your categories of discussions are not very inclusive. I agree that there is some difference between caring for a spouse/partner vs. another family member, but "Caring for a parent" excludes those caring for siblings, friends, grandparents, etc. Just wondering if the name could be tweaked to be a little more inclusive.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,071
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Please consider adding a small bar (visible at all times) to allow for font functions like bolding, underlining, font size.

The fact that bold disappears when return is hit is not good either.

Thank you for changing the font color, but it definitely needs to go a few more shades darker.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

What happen to all of my inbox contacts and emails? How do I get to them?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

my profile shows that I have a certain number of points. What are points about?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Michael, the inbox contacts and emails were not carried over--they were deleted, permanently. I spent some time reviewing my emails and copied a few I wanted to save.

• Michael Ellenbogen

Thanks Iris. I had over 800 people who were on my list. Many I spoke because I could look back on who sent me something. I am totally lost on how to reach out to these folks who I have helped in th past.

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023

What should be the difference between General Topics and Caring for a Parent?

Why was For Those Who Have Lost Someone not carried over? Stage 8 is very important.

Why was Musings not carried over? Also very important. I posted there several times in the past year.

What does the light bulb mean?

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 471
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Iris, as to difference between general and caregiving parent boards, I think there really is none when it comes to the way the board is used currently and I don't think that will change. Even if they give specific guidelines I think people will still puzzle over which to use.

"Remembering those you have lost" is here, you can find it on the drop down menu when you hover over "Discussions" in the purple header at the top of the page.

The lightbulb means insightful, it is an icon like the heart or like button. I suppose it means what you want it to mean. I get why we are going back to using pictographs, but I don't think they will get much use here.

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023

Thanks for responding, towhee. I was hoping to get an understanding from the moderator about why they thought a need to divide one topic into two boards that duplicate each other. Perhaps I am missing something.

I am on a smartphone and I do not have a purple header that reads Discussions. I looked all over the site. I did see that there is a board For People Who Have Lost Someone under the Spanish section.

Thank you for explaining about the lightbulb.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris - Click on the three lines at the top left of the word alzconnected on the top of the page. Click on discussions and then other discussions. There is a For People who have lost someone there.

I agree that caring for parents could be combined with general caregiving. That’s how it worked previously and it worked well. I think three discussion groups is a little much to look through as often as we all do.

• [Deleted User]
  • Iris L.
    edited April 2023
    I typed a response to QBC twice, clicked Post Comment. They are both gone.

Edit: I know what happened now. "Your comment will appear after it is approved."

I posted the same comment three times, thinking I had made a mistake.
  • towhee

Dear Moderator, please check your "Welcome New Forum Parent and Remote Caregiver" posts as some are posting on them who really need to start a new discussion. Their posts are not being viewed. Please make your directions more clear.

• Iris L.
    Amazing! It was hidden there all the time. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, QBC!
  • [Deleted User]
  • Iris L.
    edited April 2023
    What do the points refer to?
  • towhee
    edited April 2023

Dear Moderator-

• purple "new" button useful
    • landing on the new comment instead of at top of post- has pluses and minuses
    • adding tags in front of "started by" - NO, Really Absolutely NO

One of the major complaints has been that we cannot find the original posters name. I thought that if you bolded the original posters name or kept it permanently purple and bolded or at least darkened the time of post and the number of comments that it would make scanning the posts easier. That information would be more visible and more or less in the same position. Now, with tags added, that information could be anywhere. While I see that tags could be useful for the search function, for the post itself, we already have a title and the first couple of lines of text. Tags are unnecessary on the posts. Archiveofourown.org we are not.

PLEASE do not do this.

• ALZConnected Moderator
    ALZConnected Moderator Administrator Posts: 86
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    Admin

We want to apologize to you and others for having post approval. Our automatic SPAM tool needed additional tweaking, so you should not encounter this problem again. Thank you for your patience.

• ALZConnected Moderator
    Admin

Thank you for your feedback. I've answered your questions below:

• In order to see your own posts, click on your profile in the right corner and select My Discussions:
    • Users are not automatically notified when their posts are deleted. If a post is deleted due to a violation of the Community Guidelines, you should be notified by a member of the moderation team as to why.
    • Thank you again for your extensive feedback. Though the site has been tested extensively, we are still finding ways to improve it.

Thank you again for your participation in the ALZConnected community.

• Michael Ellenbogen

On another note. Before the migration to the ne system I think I had about 3000 - 3500 times that I had replied or started a conversation. This new number does not seem to reflect that.

• CanyonGal
    CanyonGal Member Posts: 146
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Your "community tour" link is a list of support pages on navigation and forum policies. I can see you have it posted as an announcement(?) at the top of each page and (way down the right frame) under ALZConnected Resources. I am not sure if that naming convention was the best for support or help topics but most(?) of us have figured it out.

My suggestion is to add a help or support icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page, near the search icon.

Google Mail and other websites use a question mark icon. (See Google Mail example below)

As you scroll down the forum posts the "help" or "tour" link is not easily viewable in the right frame.

Just my two cents...

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023
    Michael, I am so sorry you lost over 800 contacts, people you have helped. I tried to think of how you could contact them again. Whenever I received an AA inbox email, I also got a regular email notification. Perhaps you can go back over your regular emails, and see if you can salvage some names.

You might also start a new thread on all the new boards and explain what happened, and ask people to send you a message via the new platform, so you can recontact.

As to the number of your conversations, only the past two years have been kept. Everything prior has been lost, permanently. That is my understanding. I spent three days copying threads that I wanted to keep. I couldn't copy all that I wanted, however.
  • Michael Ellenbogen

thnks iris but i want aa to tell me how they can fix this issue. this shoul be able to be fixed some how. tis is what i did forva living, sadly this is is not the first conversion and they did not seem to learn anything from the previose changes which is real sad.

• ALZConnected Moderator
    Admin

We understand your concern. The Connections feature of the previous platform is not necessary to reach out to others, as users can message one another. We posted on the previous platform about Connections going away and encouraged users to download anything they wanted to keep from their conversations.

As for your concerns regarding the post count not matching the prior platform, please note that we only transferred over the past two years of content. As such, only those posts are showing up in your count. Thank you for your understanding.

• towhee

Do we have a specific time period to edit a post?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more