Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The meaning of "Taking care of yourself"

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I see a lot of messages about taking care of yourself, and I think I have a better understanding now. It's not just being selfish, but also to help yourself so you can continue being a caregiver, especially if you are a sole caregiver. Many people say not getting enough sleep is very important, but here are a few things that I have realized.

• Still being careful about not getting COVID-19. It's endemic now, and people are still getting it. Dr. Robert Wachter (age 66), who is famous in this field, just contracted the disease, ending up fainting when taking a warm shower, and hit his head and needed care. Even knowledgable professional still suffer.
  • If you are out of time and are in a hurry, drive carefully, walking up and down stairs carefully, look to avoid getting over by careless people riding electric scooters. If I get hurt, who can take your place?
  • All the regular common sense about good self medical care, nutrition, sleep, stress relief. When harried, these things may get deprioritized, but one has to remember them.

It's such a common phrase in these forums, I took it for granted, and did not realize its importance and the consequences of neglecting it.

Tagged:

Comments

• CorrieG
    CorrieG Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks- I appreciate the comment about hurrying. I fall into that trap often.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

This is all so true - thanks for posting it.

I'm one of those people who still wears a mask in public (including the gym), I don't eat inside at restaurants, and on the rare occasions that I get to go to a goth club, the mask stays on. Thankfully N95s now come in black. 🙂 (gotta keep a sense of humor about this stuff)

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 2023

Can't forget about your style (I figured looking at your forum ID)! I still wear masks in buses and any crowded place.

I should get black masks. I won't wear cartoon masks like this Hello Kitty one, even if that's the only one left to buy.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more