Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He’s free

2»

Comments

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hugs to you, Buggs, from yet another recent member of the Stage 8 club (my DH died in June). Your post echoes my own feelings beautifully. Please take all of the excellent advice offered above and be very good to yourself. You deserve it. We all deserve it.

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 187
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

You were such an inspiration to me as you took care of your beloved husband through some very difficult situations. He is at peace now, and I hope you find your peaceful place as well. Blessings and hugs!

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My heart goes out to you on this painful loss. I pray you find steadily increasing times of peace and solace as you walk into stage 8.

Tom

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,314
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So sorry for your loss. As you begin this new stage of your life you'll have many good memories to get you through the hard times. He's well now and free of this terrible disease. Rest when you can.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all, I appreciate your kindness to me. I feel very sad but happy he is free and surrounded by love. Now I walk alone but like to feel he is still with me in spirit. Thank you again.

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

You are not alone. We share right now with you the pain of navigating the path to the next stage of your life. How very blessed you are to have an immense love for each other. He will live in your heart until you meet again. God Bless.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Tell the bees he is free. I am so sorry for your loss.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I have so admired the grace and humor with which you cared for your DH. Now that he is at peace, I hope those qualities will still help you and those around you. May you find rest and peace, my friend.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Our hearts are with you. May you find peace in the knowledge that the suffering is over.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss and the pain of this journey. I can sense the relief in your message that he is free and healed and in good company. He was lucky to have you.

Wishing some peace for you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Buggsroo, I am so sorry for your pain and this loss though we all know it is coming. Holding you in my heart right now. I feel we are not far behind here and honestly I hope for my DH's release sooner than later even though your pain is tangible and I truly understand it will be harder than I can imagine, to actually say goodbye.

What an unbelievably amazing wife and caregiver you have been throughout. I know the toll it takes on us as we grieve all throughout the journey, and then still hurt so much when they receive their final freedom.

May Stage 8 be gentle and kind to you, as I believe your hopes for your hubby and best friend's next phase are surely coming true. You shared a beautiful love and life before dementia, you have survived this nightmare and helped ensure his safe passage. Huge. Friend, you are due all the time you need to still grieve, to heal, and to focus on you, now.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, Buggs. So very sorry for your loss! You took such loving care of your DH through so many difficult moments. I am glad that he is free, and hope that with time, the good memories will return, and you will once again feel him walking beside you.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggsroo I am sorry to hear about your husband passing but also I know he's not suffer as well. I have totally admired your care, perseverance and sense of humor in spite of all your adversities.

I hope you find that same sense of peace now and healing from your battles.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Buggs,

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your husband and best friend. You have gone through so much over the past several years but also left us laughing over the exploits of your husband. I could not imagine how you kept a sense of humor. Darn...so many losses and so hard. I hope you keep in touch as you deal with this change in your life. You were an amazing wife and caregiver.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dearest Canadian friend, Buggsroo. Just saw this message and am thinking of you with deepest feeling; there are not words sufficient to say how sorry I am for all that has been and that which has been lost.

You have been an inspiration to many of us; have kept a sense of humor during the most difficult of times, supported others and never stopped caring no matter the length and breadth of the significant challenges which were many.

So much has happened in your life on multiple fronts. In this, the "new" way of being that you have been thrust into; I strongly wish a corner turned and life to become brighter and lighter leading you to a better place.

With a soft hug to a dear person and sadness at the loss of your very best friend.

J.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Buggsroo, I'm so very sorry. This is such a horrible disease, and you really went through so much. May you find peace and good memories in the days and weeks to come.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am so very sorry. there isn't really anything to say. There are days I wish my DH would pass so we could both be at peace, but I can't imagine being without him. Tight hugs.

• cw2502
    cw2502 Member Posts: 30
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

CStrope, I haven't been on here in a long time, but you and I communicated briefly. My DH passed October 18th. Is your husband still with you? I came back to the forum to try to get some relief from my grief. He was the love of my life; together 40 years and married almost 39. I had to place him about 6 months before he passed. He was so ravaged, mind and body. Luckily, I was able to be laying by his side when he passed, with our children with us. On hospice only 24 hours. I'm back at work and spend my nights going through all our memories and cherishing every photo, greeting card, wedding video, all his things, etc. While I am happy he is now with Jesus and his mind and body are healed and whole, I am beyond sad I can no longer give him my love on this earth; I had so much more I wanted to give him. And I will miss (and have been missing) the great love he always gave me. Blessing to you. Let me hear from you.

• cw2502

Buggsroo, my condolences on the passing of your beloved DH. I lost mine October 18th. Like you, we were each other's biggest fan and were still crazy in love after 40 years together. Even though the disease took his memory of me as his wife, he still knew I was someone special. I've been away from the forum but came back here to try to get some relief for my grief. Other Grief Share groups just don't seem to be the answer as one has to really know the "beast" known as Alzheimer's to understand all a spouse has been through and all the thoughts and feelings they feel afterwards. Blessing and prayers to you in the coming days, weeks and months.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes I still have my DH home and I am still working full time from home. I can tell the stress is really starting to affect my health, so I will probably need to start thinking about placement in the coming months. They updated his diagnosis from EOA to FTD, and it makes so much sense. There are so many differences between the two. He has absolutely no ability to understand anything or accomplish even the easiest of tasks, but he still has this awareness of what is going on in life. That is my biggest fear, is that he is going to completely understand what is happening when he needs to be moved to a facility. He is still very healthy and eats whatever I put in front of him. We struggle greatly with changing clothes, showering, shaving, etc.... He still manages to do the majority of his own bathroom duties, but does tend to urinate in unusual places about once a week. Winter will be here soon, and I will feel even more isolated than I currently do. Thanks for reaching out.

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry Buggsroo. He definitely is free and at peace, and surrounded by those who loved him. He felt your love every day.

• cw2502

I'm so sorry! Luckily my DH did pretty well at home with part time caregivers while I worked away until he started refusing to let them in or would be ugly to them; and then he started doing dangerous stuff (going outside at 1:00 am and opening up garage, wandered off one Saturday when I was sick with Covid for the first time, and was gone 5 hours before police found him!) That was earlier this year and the kids and I decided he needed to be safe 24/7. He had started to lose weight before placement and doctor said he was Severe Stage in March. Placement was hard at first due to the wrong facility/staff the first time, but then we got it right and I do not think he was really aware. He never asked to be taken home or questioned why/where he was at. The staff were wonderful to him, but he declined rapidly in his last 2 months at the facility. Severe weight loss (he weighed about 100 when he passed). When he was hospitalized, they discovered he had pneumonia, had aspirated, was dehydrated and had critical low blood pressure. He had been sleeping a lot and was pretty lethargic at the facility in the last months. It was a blessing he was hospitalized because we got him stable; all the kids came and we were able to be with him before hospice started; he passed 24 hours after hospice started. I am certain if he had not been transported by EMS he would have passed alone that night, and I don't think I could have lived with that. I will keep you in my prayers.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I have been thinking of you Buggsroo; how are you doing? I send warmest thoughts your way and am still looking for that magic wand that I can wave wildly for all of us - but alas as yet . . .

Let us know how you are and what's doing; we really do care.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney