Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

72 yo husband with dementia and urinary incontinence.

annewilder
annewilder Member Posts: 25
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am interested in trying a condom catheter for his condition. Anyone out there with any experience with a brand of these? I like QuickChange.com but they do fill up with 500 cc of urine fairly quickly.

Thank you,

Anne

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Anne,

Wow, i'd not heard of these. My husband would pull it off for sure. LMK if it works for you.Maureen

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

IMO the PWD would pull that out immediately

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Terei, you are probably right. But I am willing try anything. If he didn't wake up to void at night I wouldn't need night time caregivers.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It seems to me that someone on the forum tried those. I'm replying just to get the thread back to the top. And I have to wonder if using them could lead to UTIs?

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Anne,

Is your husband on a sleep med? After a few glitched, we finally arrived at a combination of seraquel and depakote, and my DH sleeps through with no bathroom trips.

Just a thought,

Maureen

• cutchelow
    cutchelow Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Maureen, I am very interested in the drugs you are talking about. Seraquel and depakote. I have been giving my DH Ativan and Haldol for anxiety and excessive fidgeting. Can you tell me more about the drugs?

I have a huge incontinence problem at night! Thanks, Carol

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi cutchelow, this discussion is over two months old. You may do better to start a new one.

Seraquel and depakote are generally better tolerated than haldol with a shorter half life and less risk of tardive dyskinesia (uncontrollable movements, which may be permanent). There are also better choices than ativan for anxiety- it's a benzodiazepine, which increases risk of confusion and falls in the elderly, can aslo risk urinary retention in older men.

Have you brought this up with his doc? A geriatric psychiatrist is going to be the most adept at prescribing and fine-tuning his meds.

• cutchelow
    cutchelow Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Thanks for your response. I just have his GP doc and Hospice doc. The hospice is who prescribed the Haldol.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Dear Anne, my DH used this method in the hospital and it worked well and it did not seem to bother him. Right now at home he is using depends at night with a bed pad just in case.

I am preparing for then next phase. Thsnks for reminding me about the condom.

nan

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney