Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Done

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum and deep breath, you have come to a good place for advice, support,and planning. I am so sorry, but the wise folks here can help you through the learning curve and the grief.

First advice is always to get your legal affairs in order. You can start this even before you see the doctor, make an appointment (you only for first visit at least) with a certified elder law attorney (CELA, look at nelf.org for list by location). You need to have durable power of attorney for healthcare and finances. Your own papers need to be updated to name someone else besides him as your poa and executor, as he cannot serve in that capacity for you. A CELA can also help with financial planning; now is the time to think about how you might finance memory care should he eventually need it. How to qualify for Medicaid if needed varies by state, and a CELA can advise you on that.

Don't expect the MRI to be definitive, but it can rule out other things like tumors and hydrocephalus. Beware the term MCI also: this is used quite loosely, as many practitioners seem loathe to call a spade a spade at first blush. He may already be in true dementia territory, but they're easing you into it. That's just by the by. Read up on anosognosia, it's a common feature of the disease that may prevent him from recognizing his impairment, it's not denial.

However, if he is in fact still early, now is also time to think about your bucket list. My partner and i took two wonderful trips while she was stage 3-4 and I'm grateful we did. it's heartbreaking to lose your partner this way, no getting around that. But again, the folks here can help you cope. Others will chime in. Read a lot of threads and you will learn and you will make friends.

• wose

Thank you so very much for taking the time. Nobody else has. Just knowing someone else is around is comforting.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Wose, Welcome but sorry you needed to seek out our community. I second all that M1 said above. I also found in person caregiver support groups very helpful as I found face to face interaction with other caregivers very helpful along this journey. You can search for local support groups in your area on the Alzheimer’s main page.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here but glad you found this place.

Many here swear by The 36-Hour Day as the bible for caregiving. I found this quick and free read more useful for me in terms of understanding how dementia was impacting dad's behavior and thought.

Understanding the Dementia Experience (smashwords.com)

You've already gotten some great advice. I will say, that doctors often start with MCI as a diagnosis initially. This is especially true if it's your PCP who may feel it's out of their lane to suggest a terminal condition like dementia until a neurologist has done the testing. The other thing that can confuse this is that many PWD engage in a behavior called showtiming where they seeming hold it together with charm and good humor for a short period with doctors or people they don't see daily giving a false impression of how well they're doing. My own dad could give an Oscar-worthy performance in the office which always led his neurologist and geripshyc to over-estimate his ability to function by about one full stage. Seeing him at home almost daily, I knew better. The below thread includes a link to a tool which can give you a sense of where you are.

Excellent Handout Packet: dementia, stages, CGs, actively dying - Tam Cummings — ALZConnected

I hope this helps.

HB

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. In addition to the excellent advice already given, I would suggest that you document the specifics of the behaviors you observe, place them in a sealed envelope a, label the front with you DH's name the statement "please read before our appointment." Hand them to the receptionist when you go to the doctor's office. If you can communicate before via a portal, that is good too. The purpose is to provide the doctor with as much information as you can.

Also, please consider getting counseling for grief. As you start this journey, you will experience all kinds of emotions that will confuse you and it is important to have someone professional to listen and validate your feelings. Learn about the grief cycle so you can understand your emotions a little better. You will go through denial and lots of anger. I was and still get angry at the loss of what our life was, loss I see every day with the wasting away of my DH. I could go on, but the important thing is to understand that it is not your DH's fault, and that you are really angry at the situation. The is important so that you are not misdirecting your anger at your DH. I know this because I first believed that my husband's sleep apnea and failure to use a CPAP was the cause. Therefore, he caused this. I did learn differently. Be gentle with yourself. I have turned to prayer for my peace.

Keep in touch and know you have friends here and you are definitely not alone.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

There are licensed and trained Social Workers with this website @ 800 272-3900. Ask for a Care Consultant. They can help with resources and support as well.

Keep coming back and posting. Everyone here is ready to help you.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm going to bring up one thing nobody else has talked about.....driving. You state that he has to use GPS now, so I'm assuming he's still driving places by himself. You need to think about what would happen if he were to get in an accident. Even if it was just a small fender bender in a parking lot, and possibly not even his fault, he now has an MCI diagnosis which will come into play immediately. Allowing him to drive after his diagnosis could cause you to lose everything you have.

When I took my keys away from my DH, it was difficult, but I stressed what would happen to us financially if any type of accident occurred. That was all he needed to agree to stop driving. He still complained about not being "allowed" to drive, but I continually stressed the financial implications.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

When I read your post, driving was the first thing that came to mind. Even though my husband had good coordination and was physically fit at time of diagnosis, he would lose his bearings while driving. Our car had no GPS so there wasn't that crutch to lean on. Also, judgement and quick decision making become problematic, and this comes on pretty quickly so yes, he had to stop driving. The legal advice is super important, and I echo the previous comments.

We had to wait months before we had a firm diagnosis. This only occurred after a neuropsych evaluation, and then we were told it was Alzheimer's. Because there are other types of dementia, it is helpful to get as accurate a diagnosis as possible. This can determine what meds to prescribe, and it was very helpful for us when we needed rx adjustments.

There are some resources to look into. Contact your local Council On Aging, and get acquainted with the services they offer. Even if you don't think you can use them now, information is valuable for the future. Our community has a day program , Meals On Wheels, Social Workers, Caregiver Support, and a free tracking bracelet is provided by the Sheriff's Department for those who tend to wander.

Is your husband a veteran? There are lots of benefits available to vets, including free or low cost medical supplies and equipment. Contact your local VA agent.

Keep posting, and asking questions. This is the BEST place for information and support.

Sending love and courage,

Maureen

• wose

Thank you so much, I will read this 100 times a day if I have to. It is beautiful and tragic at the same time 💙

• wose

Thank you Joe, you are very kind. I think I need to take your advise. I’m just drowning here with no friends of my own( not even one)and his friends don’t communicate. I just need a friend and guidance.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hang in there, wose. I sometimes think the "overwhelm" feeling you get sometimes is the worst of it. And that will reoccur more than once throughout the journey. It's totally OK to ask questions here. You have gotten some excellent advice already. I'd say that legal matters come first, also. Seeking out a skilled attorney is worth it. You can't really see exactly what may happen, but this allows you to stop worrying about who will be responsible and what your plans will have to be financially.

I will also second the advice about driving. This has been one of the toughest battles to fight for us. I would definitely find out your state's rules about this and senior drivers in general. Our doctor (PCP) was able to tell my DH that he would report him to the state if he continued to drive. It helped, even though I still hear occasional complaints.

Also, someone on this forum (I wish I remember who so I could give them credit) recommended the book Travelers to Unimaginable Lands. I found it helpful as it addresses so much of the caregiver's dilemma as the disease progresses from a psychological and philosophical standpoint.

You're not alone.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Like the others....I'm so sorry to have to welcome you to this group, but welcome to us. The earlier posters gave the best starting advice. You will have more question and we'll be here for them. My DW and I live in a small, remote town, so I understand the overwhelm. This group has helped me feel much less alone and having people who know and are going through what I'm going through has been a huge relief.

There will be moments I've felt like I could not do it; my fear, my guilt, my overwhelming sadness and grief, etc., but somehow, I get up every day and do it. With love. It's been a year and I've found some footing and I've come to expect that I'll have to refind my footing as each new stage or parts of a stage emerge. I'm better at that now. If I can do it, so can you, wose. And this virtual community will help.

• wose

I cannot even begin to tell you how grateful I am for your kind words. I’m at the uncertainty stage where I’m doubting myself on everything. Since I have no friends at all to talk to, even tho it’s my first post(last nite) this site has helped immensely. At times, I think I’m wrong about him and it’s only marital problems, but then it’s those other moments that just blow my mind with wonder. It’s absolutely terrifying to me . And then I react with anger and then guilt and then love. But, how to get rid of this relentless anger and constant crying? Maybe I’m still in denial. He’s going to get the mail for the 3rd time now. At least I can post this now🙃💙 Thank You

• wose
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello from me too...

Emotions....when you make the conscious decision to be the caregiver for you loved one you take on a very difficult position. One that is fraught with some very serious emotions. Fear, anger, resentment, anger, sadness to name a few. You do not get to the end of this journey unchanged.

On this journey, knowledge will be your best tool. The learning will be on going and there will be times that you may simply want to disappear.

We here understand. Additionally we will provide a shoulder to lean on as well as a source of information. We will share with you all that was shared with us as well as what we have learned.

An immediate hint...the shower is a great place to scream as well as to cry!

Judith

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    edited December 2023

Sadly, the behaviors you are describing are consistent with dementia and are beyond the point of any cognitive impairment. He should stop driving today, to keep you, himself, and everyone else on the road (and your assets) safe. You’re not crazy or in denial or having marital problems from what you’ve described. You are describing classic frustrations of someone living with someone who has dementia. I’m really sorry.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Welcome @wose . I'm sorry you have the need to be here, but there are so many kind and knowledgeable people here - there's always someone to point you in the right direction.

I don't have a lot to add, there's already a lot of good info in this thread for you. I'll just second a few things ---

• Get all legal affairs in order - see a certified elder law attorney, finances, wills/trusts
    • time to take away the car keys (which is not easy)
    • if there's a trip that the two of you want to take, now is the time to do it. I did this with my sister. Her bucket list item was a trip to Italy/Sicily (my family is Italian, so this was a big deal for her). My husband and I made it happen. Peggy was probably early stage 5 then, and even so, that trip was no vacation for me and my husband. We were exhausted by the end of it. But you know what? Peggy will still talk about that trip to this day (she's late stage 6/early stage 7). So, all of the logistics hell was worth it. If I had to do it over again, I would.
    • I've never regretted getting a therapist. I see her once a month. I chose her because she used to be a social worker helping Alzheimer's patients and their caregivers. She's amazing and has helped me through some very tough times.

Sending all of my best thoughts to you!

• wose

Thank you, it means a lot that you took time for me. We took the grandkids (2) to Legoland in Aug. and was so disoriented. That was a light bulb moment for sure. I did all the driving that time and planning. You’re right it was hell keeping track of 3 but precious unforgettable moments are still treasured. I pretty much know I’ll need a face to face human to talk with, but I keep holding on to false hope. My first husband died of Leukemia at 48, but the realization of this disease is so overwhelming.

• wose

Thank you very much for saying that. If I could only get my head and heart in sync 💙

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Welcome to the club. There still are still moments. of great joy. My DH and I are listening to Christmas music right now and just feeling warm, but your life has changed. Simplify. No driving. No going out by himself. Find a support group and a good therapist if you have the means. Bring your kids into the conversation. Your husband has a terrible brain disease, but he is still here….

• wose

Thank you. Most of the time it’s like I don’t exist or he absolutely hates me. For me, it’s all about him and his well being but he doesn’t see any of it. I have no children but he had two unwilling boys whom don’t seemed concerned. Tonight he said to me “have you always been this way” It’s so difficult and heart wrenching. I cry more than I sleep or eat but I am meeting all of his needs so far. Am I strong enough for the next rounds?

Thank You for your support 💙

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This is all terrifying and hard. Sending you hugs and hope for fonding the moments of beauty and kindness that do appear.

Glad you're here and posting.

I am constantly amazed at what my LO's experience seem to be. I am constantly grateful that I am able amd willing to show up. Take good care of you. That is your biggest gift to your DH.

Hugs.

• Lakhota
    Lakhota Member Posts: 6
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

Welcome, Lots of good advice has been given so far. Being a caregiver is hard and can be a long and difficult journey but you do this. It seems like during this journey little by little friends and family that were there disappear and that you the caregiver lose yourself because it becomes all about the person with the disease (PWD). So when you can take some time for yourself if you have a favorite candy or cookie (double stuff Nutter Butters are great) buy them and don’t be ashamed if you don’t share that’s your reward.

This is a learning process and one of the first and hardest things to learn is your Loved one has a broken brain. They may say or do things that they never would before that hurt and it’s the disease and not the person. You are going to fail at times and lose your temper or say something that you wouldn’t it’s ok you are human. You have to learn to forgive yourself! No guilt! It’s hard but your loved one will have forgotten something that you do long before you do.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@wose

I have to pile on with what the others have said. The driving is over for your DH by whatever means it takes. If that means removing it to another location, locking the keys up, driving exclusively or hiring an Uber you need to do it. It's likely he'll be angry and you'' have to live with that which is unfortunate.

Were he to have an accident, the insurance might not cover him. Dad's policy didn't. Even if it would, you could still be sued if he has an accident. You could be held responsible for allowing him to drive. They will access his medical records which will include his brain changes. He would have to be deposed and potentially take the stand in court at a time when he will very likely be more impaired cognitively than he is now. There is the potential for you to lose everything.

HB

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

As I've frequently stated, I'm at high risk as a bicycle rider. I'm not a litigious person, but if a PWD struck me with their car, I (or my estate) would sue for every last cent.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for this poem. I'm going to read it every day.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Hello and welcome, Wose. I don't have a lot to add, but a couple things you said struck me. On a bad day, I hear everything from "why don't you just leave!" to "we have never understood each other" and "stop trying to run my life." Things I would NEVER take under normal circumstances, inappropriate tones of voice, all of it. I try to breathe and remember that I would never take this under any other conditions and will never take it from another person ever again. She has no idea she is being hurtful, has no empathy any more and it's all, all about her. This is what the disease does to the brain. They truly don't become bad people. They just act badly.

One thing I'm trying to do, with moderate success, is to make sure every day I do something for myself that makes me happy. Sometimes it's just a long hot shower, or an exercise class or a walk with the dog. It does help.

Last thought: so far I've found that when family and friends and neighbors know what's going on, they are generally kind. The social awkwardness has an explanation then. It's when people don't know and don't know how to react that they may be rude or impatient. I wrote an advance directive to keep on file at the vet clinic and laid it all out. Since then, they've all been very gracious and super kind. It's amazing how many people have been touched by this disease in one way or another.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more