Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Done

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hang in there. This is a tough hurdle for so many of us. But the repercussions could be disastrous. You did the right thing.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Bravo, you did do the right thing. Steel yourself to have to discuss it over and over. Appeal to his better nature, remind him how awful he would feel if someone were hurt or killed.

I am sorry you are having a hard night.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand how hard this was for you, we all can relate. Hang in there.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So difficult, so many losses to grieve along the way.

I've been mostly successful declaring I'm the new chauffeur and reminding my LO that I'm willing to go when and where my LO desires. After a few days, my LO actually commented that it's nice to not drive and watch the scenery. Now, after 2 months, she's the designated DJ and rarely walks to the drivers side when we get in the car.

Best of luck and much kindness to you as you navigate these new turbulent waters of life.

Just smile and breathe. Acknowledge the losses and kep coming from love.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Warm hugs to you ❤️

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Losing driving privilege is always a tough hurdle. I was able to convince my DH that we didn't need 2 cars and our grandson needed his. He gave his to our grandson's and has never asked to drive mine. That's over 2 years ago.

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Good for you, Darcy… you found a positive point in a difficult situation! And I think it’s important to create frequent opportunities to take your LO out….my DH wasn’t too resistant to giving up drive, but he misses the freedom and ability to go somewhere….anywhere. We frequent stores, offer shops, parks, etc. he is much more content when we are able to be out 3-4 times a week.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Absolutely one of the toughest things I've ever had to do. I remember when I trusted his driving so much that I fell asleep on long, late drives home. Sigh. You did the right thing for yourselves, and also for others. If your DH drove he could injure or even end the life of someone completely innocent.

M5M, you hit the nail on the head for me, too. My DH doesn't miss driving so much per se as the freedom to go wherever, whenever. I've already suggested a drive today. Who knows where? It probably doesn't matter.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It was a sad day, but I drove him around today on Christmas. I just drove aimlessly up the turnpike for 2 hrs and back, He must of asked me 10 times if he could drive. Then we have to have the grueling conversation again. We just got back and he discovered that his keys are missing. He’s angry with me again and wants his keys back. Will the tears ever end? Thanks everyone for your unwavering support💙

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you for taking this difficult step. You made it safer for all of us, your LO included.

You've given us all a gift.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Wose, are they actual keys or is it a key fob? I sold my SUV and we drive his sedan. I gave him the key fob with a dead battery. My DH has never discovered that it’s dead. But my plan if he did discover that the fob didn’t work, I could come up with stalling fibs like “we have to go to the dealership, the hardware store is out of that type of battery etc. And now he tries to use the house key to open the car door, he has no idea what the key fob is.

Congratulations on taking this huge step. Hang in there!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more