Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Happy Holidays - are you doing ok?

This is the first Christmas after my husband's diagnosis. Last year at this time we were in crisis mode. We've come a long way since then. He's getting good care and I feel like I have a clue about how to manage this.

What has surprised me is how lonely I am this year. So I just wanted to say, if you're having a tough time, feel free to respond. We can support each other.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It’s nice you are in a better place this year vs. last. It’s myself and DH tomorrow. Doesn’t seem much like Christmas for me, and it is a lonely feeling. We don’t live near my daughters, grandchildren or my 93 year old mom. I miss celebrating the holidays, but DH just cannot travel. He functions well on a day to day basis, but is unwilling to travel. On a good note, tomorrow I will be FaceTiming with my daughters and grandchildren, which will be fun. I’ve been baking today and have my food prepped for our unconventional Xmas dinner of chicken enchiladas. Wishing you a nice Christmas.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm glad you'll have a virtual visit with your family. And chicken enchiladas sounds great! Merry Christmas.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for the thread, Jeanne C.!

We are in the last days of getting a diagnosis for my DH (although all the symptoms point to Alzheimer's) - we have the last scans scheduled for the coming week. Somehow, I am in a better place than I was last Christmas when I was still trying to figure out what was happening and I felt so very alone and scared. These days, although family is far away, I've been building a support system for both of us (neighbors, friends, therapist, this forum, financial advisor, lawyer, and now a placement advisor for the future). It feels better despite knowing what lies ahead.

Tonight we drove around the neighborhood and looked at all the Christmas lights. Tomorrow, we head to a neighbor's house for a late Christmas lunch. Life is more complex and scary than ever yet building simplicity during these holidays has helped a lot. Many thanks to all here on the forum who have posted and shared and walked the walk. You are my heroes.

• Jeanne C.

You're definitely not alone in feeling down today. You've definitely had a lot on your plate. I wish I had an answer for you, but if nothing else, know that I'll keep you in mind. Try to find a little comfort tomorrow. I know it's hard. Sending you peace.

• Jeanne C.

The Christmas lights are a great idea. I'll try that with my husband tomorrow. Merry Christmas.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

You're definately not the only one feeling this way.

May I suggest, if possible, when you visit and hold hands today, if there is any way to play " your " music and favorite songs, do it. Sing along and maybe your DH will, too.

Holding you in love and light. Peace.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I always end up just being glad when it's over. Big lunch at MC today that worries me because of covid risk. Then to the airport to see off son and girlfriend, then home to an empty house. Hope everyone is holding up okay.

• Jeanne C.

I'm glad you got to visit with family. Hang in there. I'm thinking of taking the decorations down later today. I just want to get things back to normal.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 355
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I want to thank everyone for the support and suggestions. Fortunately, I'm in a much better emotional state this morning. I just got back from briefly seeing DH at the AL facility. He has the stomach flu. So much for Christmas plans. Oh well, this, too, shall pass.

I do have alternate plans for the rest of the day. Working on a NICU baby quilt for donation to Project Linus, walking our local trail, and a DVD movie this evening. All of these are pleasurable activities and will be a good way to spend the day.

@M1 I hope you find a pleasant way to spend the day that will make the house seem a little less empty. I value your advice and insight in this forum.

@Jeanne C. I have learned to cherish the normal days even more than the special ones. I will be praying for 'normal' to return for both of us.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

This is our first Christmas since my DH ALZ diagnosis. We tried traveling to our daughter’s for Thanksgiving and it caused my DH so much confusion, I am not sure if we should travel. We are alone this Christmas. I am particularly sad this year because the future seems likely to be a smaller and smaller world for both of us.

• Jeanne C.

Smaller: that's a pretty accurate description. We tried a short trip (2 hours by car) to my sister's on Saturday. He started pacing and getting agitated almost immediately. We ended up staying less than an hour before heading back home. I had so been looking forward to some time with my family. Today I'm doing what I can to stay positive for him but honestly, today is just making me sad. Even with prompting and reminding, he doesn't get that it's a holiday. And that's fine. It's just a reminder of everything we've lost.

Tomorrow will be easier.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney