Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What progress are you aware of in your day to day life?

I'm 3 years in from being told I have PPA FTD. Four maybe five since I noticed something was wrong. I am still awaresof most things, or at least I think I am. I lose things everyday. I drop things I've forgotten. i am holding in my hands. Time is nothing to me anymore I read my clocks backwards soiI hate the big and little hands, just use the digital. I can't keep days, time and dates straight. I can't connect the dots with dates and special occasions like birthdays and others. Conversations get mixed up, i struggle at times to get the meaning of what someone is talking about. Need my hubby to explain what points someone is making in a conversation what they are meaning. It is harder to get my words in my brain and then out my mouth. It comes out scrambled or wrong and I can't stop it. Trying to fix it overwhelms me...I am overwhelmed alot. I'm aware of my tremors, spilling things everyday....being so damn clumsy. There are a lot that I don't know is happening or I'm not aware of and only know because my husband or girls tells me....but that's a whole different topic. Sorry long winded.

Comments

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 657
    500 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 17

I to have a hard time reading clocks I used to be good at remembering dates but now my wife has to remind me. I too have a hard time getting my words from my brain to my mouth. Do not worry about being long winded we are to let you VENT if you want to.

• zmnla63
    zmnla63 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Sorry to hear you are in the same space as me. We are very lucky to have our spouses there for us. I have read where some people dealing with this horrible disease are on their own. I'd be lost without my hubby and daughters.

• David1946
    edited February 17

Likewise if it weren't for my wife I think that I would not be alive today. My children and step children are supportive which helps. Also my wife (I think you should know that we are only married 6 years we were both widows) is helping me for the future. She has helped get me on the waiting list for the local Veterans home so when my diagnosis gets to point she can't take care of me she knows that I will be in good hands. I have also been told that I may have the beginnings of Parkinson's but as of yet I do not have an tremors. I pray that your tremors do not get to bad .

• zmnla63
    zmnla63 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Six years is in the wonderful newlywed stage ❤️ I sincerely hope that the time does not come quickly. Each one of us is unique, so while someone may not make it past 12 years, there are others out there in their 18th year. Keep as positive as you can ❤️

• David1946

I know with God's help and my wife's help I will be able to survive. I just hope that I don't become to much of a burden for my wife. I can see my illness slowly getting worse. We have alarms on the door to keep me from leaving . Last night I looked at them and almost set them off. I said to myself I can't do this it will make my wife worry. I told her what I almost did and she said where were would you go and I said did not know

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

David, what I would suggest for you is heavy physical activity, as much as you can safely tolerate. This will tire you out and help you to sleep better.

Iris

• David1946

I take a balance class on Tuesday morning and I recently started using machines to strengthen my legs a couple times a week. Hopefully this will help. However I still go to the bathroom qt least 3 times a night

• Iris L.

David I was thinking more of daily exercise, such as walking. Many men have prostate trouble, causing nocturia.

Iris

• David1946

I have prostate problems too. My legs won't let do to much walking. But I do 15 to 20 minutes daily exercise on the a.m. daily.

• Iris L.

Good, that's sure to be helpful.

• David1946

I am going to the gym at the senior center at least 2 times a week until I see if I can manage it more.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more