Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just joined and new here

2»

Comments

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Carolyn,

It is a difficult journey for myself too. Same emotions that I go through everyday that you wrote in your journal. My DH was diagnosed with MCI over a year ago.

I have also started writing a journal.

I get fresh air everyday and that is not difficult with our dog. Try to only focus on one day at a time. If it is possible, do try to get out of the house for a few hours by yourself a few times a week. My DH wants to be by my side all day. It is difficult to get anything done and that frustrates me. Many things I have to let go. When I let him participate that makes him happy. Today, we will be out planting some grass seed.

Somedays I question myself and that is normal. The patience I have with my DH amazes me some days. Before this disease I was not.

This group has been so helpful to me. Hope as time goes on I will be able to help someone with their journey.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

My initial feelings, after denial, were anger and resentment. All I could think of were the things I lost or had to give up. I felt cheated. I hated my husband for what was happening now, for the future, and I found myself reviewing the past, too, through a dark lens. Then I started accepting the reality that either I take care of him and let love be my guide or I don’t. I began to understand this as a choice. I also allowed myself to ask for and accept help and I let go of status quo ideas. What was best for me and my husband and my family was for me to embrace caregiving. I worked hard to let go of anger and accept that life is full of challenges and surprises. I decided that no job could ever be as important as caring for the person I’ve loved for 35 years. I decided that my adult kids had a right —not a responsibility— to help and that I should not deny them that right—so I take financial help without guilt. That took a lot of courage and humility for me. It was part of letting go, giving up the illusion of control. I pray. I know I need help so I ask for it. I have found Grace. I aim to walk in the light. I know I am doing God’s work and knowing that is a reward in itself. Even if there is no God —as I used to think, life is bigger than us and there’s no use fighting against it. Feel all your feelings but choose to be happy. It took me over a year to get to this point. I thank God every morning for everything I have and I do not entertain thoughts about what I lack, what I’ve lost, or what I’m missing.

I hope this helps and that you can find a peaceful path soon 🙏❤️

• AlzWife2023

Good advice. I stopped reading into the future recently and it has helped me tremendously. I think it was a way to try to control/predict the future but it just made me worry so much more and see my husband as worse off than he really is NOW. There’s still so much we can enjoy together.

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I could have written this, right down to the dancing together. My DH still has language, but it is becoming less and less relevant to what is going on. Our world has become quite small. Our two teens bring welcome joy to our daily routines.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Things will not get better in terms of the disease, but there is more than a good chance that you and your husband will find the grace to live with this. I did suffer a long period of depression, and denial. . What helped? I got my husband and me therapists. We started a strict gym routine (he has a trainer). We do put to lunch. We watch movies. We live. Music is a special gift. I think the key for me was to stop mourning what I lost and cherish what I still have.

• AlzWife2023

@spunkykid578 I wrote a long reply to you late last night but I don’t see it here. The essence of my process has been letting go of the illusion of control, feeling all my feelings but then choosing happiness rather than seeing things through a lens of despair and loss; seeing this role as a choice and changing my whole perspective on life or rather returning to the root of what matters most: love.

• spunkykid578
    spunkykid578 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

It does help. I am still struggling with what will happen when he needs more care. My children are still young and I still have to work. These are the worries I have. At first I was worried about the financial loss and now that is such a minimal thought.

• AlzWife2023

I understand and I am so sorry that you are struggling with this while raising children, Our youngest is 22 and he is not able to process his emotions about what is going on at all and that's another challenge that our family faces.

Try to take things step by step and day by day. Get some help from an elder lawyer and from family in terms of long term planning. The road may be long and you still have good years and good times ahead if you look for them. Sending love and a big hug.

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is at stage 6 Alzheimer’s. I battled using medications for a long time. My issue was more anxiety than depression I worried about everything from the time I woke up until I laid in bed unable to sleep. I finally bit the bullet and started on Cymbalta. It made a world of difference in being able to cope. Me and my husband started going to a small church and learning to hand everything over to our wonderful gif has helped both of us do much. The new loving caring friends we’ve made has given us a much needed social life with people that accept him and love him just like he is. I’m in such a better place than I was a year ago. It may not be an answer for everyone but it sure was for us. I even have friends now that will stay with him while I work. He thinks it’s just friends coming to be with him. Good luck in finding your peace

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more