Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to respond to "why don't I remember that?"

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

We had a couple of quick family visits this spring including my DH's sister and three others, who stayed with us for two days. He has asked me a couple of times when she is coming and when I say she came a couple of weeks ago he says "why don't I remember that?". I usually just say yes, we had a great time, show a couple of pictures, etc. Is there a better, more thoughtful way to respond to this?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I would just laugh it off as ‘wasn’t very memorable, huh?’. Along with our memory plays tricks on us as we get older. Then yes- do you want to see the photos?

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

my DH will ask the same type of questions. After a recent visit we had, he asked that question, I said “probably because it wasn’t that memorable” and laugh. Usually that’s all he needs and he doesn’t go into any more detailed questions. I have shown him pictures like you, but he never seems interested in looking at them or will say something negative. I just go by what seems to work for me and my DH. What’s hard for me is that there is so much that I don’t even bother conversing about any more because I’m never sure of the reaction or non reaction I might get.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

happens here too, all the time, and I just say matter of factly, "you've just forgotten." She doesn't take offense. Pictures do help, to a point. My partner doesn't remember anything of our past together now, including my kids, her relatives, etc.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Since you've gone down this road before, you might skip the process and when he asks when she's coming just say, "I don't know when she'll get out here again." If he reminds you that she was going to come you can comment about how hard it is to plan anything these days.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Great idea…especially since, as you say, I've gone down this road before. Thanks!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more