Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The End of Alzheimer's

13»

Comments

• eli395
    eli395 Member Posts: 29
    10 Comments

thank you ImMaggieMae. much appreciated. i'll go there now.

🦋

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Which Dr? I believe that would be the Drs directly involved in diagnosis/treatmentof the Alzheimer's. I went back to your original post and now ask who did the diagnosis?

• eli395
    eli395 Member Posts: 29
    10 Comments

Thank you for your reply.

DH has not been diagnosed. He asked mi to research Alzheimer's. That's it. Just doing what he asked. i resisted at first but then DH asked again. The first Bredesen book came to mi and resonated.

🌟🙏🏼🌟

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Bredesen is a fraud. Don't waste your money. I know an elderly man who wasted many thousands of dollars on this to help his wife who had been diagnosed. She couldn't understand what it was all about and fought every inch of the way. She died a mere 3 1/2 years after diagnosis. She was 94.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Eli, They say if you know one case of Alzheimer's you know one case. There of course is a thread of similarity of symptoms. Personally I would save my money and not spend it on Bredesen. Believe me there are many people here who would move heaven and earth to help allay the progression of their loved one's dementia. Many of us have read any and all info re: Alzheimer's and as the disease progresses you will have 100 % of your time spent on caring for your loved one much less cooking special foods, taking supplements etc. I wish you well but advise you to accept the reality that it wasn't the concern or intelligent investigation of the caretaker that added years to the life of their DW or DH.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Eli, months later, have you noticed any changes or further decline? It is good to have a baseline cognitive screening test done by the PCP. Also, there are many medical conditions that can cause memory loss that are dementia mimics. I think what Dr. Bredesen does is to globally treat the dementia mimics with a slew of supplements and hormones, and some patients may be responding to that. Your DH should be examined by a PCP, a neurologist and a neuropsychologist. If he is on any medication, prescribed or OTC, check for cognitive sideceffects. Many common meds cause cognitive side effects in older adults. Check the Beers list. How old is he? Is he still working?

Iris

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

So sorry - I just found my response to this thread in drafts.

My husband has two copies of the APOE4 gene making him ten times more susceptible to Alzheimer’s, and yep, he has had memory loss for seventeen years, and behaviors and changes of personality preceding. He has lost three siblings and his father to the disease. At the time of his MCI diagnosis we were going to beat Alzheimer’s! We reduced sugar, increased our walking to everyday, along with swimming and lifting weights to two or three times per week, and consumed gallons coconut oil (a medium chain triglyceride) in the form of homemade chocolates and substituted it for cooking oil. His siblings passed in their sixty’s with the disease and his father at age 72. My husband is now 79 years old and in advanced dementia, but he is still walking a mile a day, communicating, and continent. Research today supports a healthy diet, physical exercise and socializing to slow the progression of the disease by 1/3. It’s certainly been true in my husband’s case.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for the update, Nowhere!

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia