Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can others understand?

I think I know the answer… but friends and family are interested and care for me and my DH, but when they say things like “I understand, my mom had memory issues and I had to help her twice a week“ I realize they have no idea of what it’s like to be the sole caregiver at home for your life partner. We’ve not (yet) been for neurological tests as DH is so freaked out by the idea of a diagnosis. But he has memory issues complicated by heart issues (CHF), and the last months have been mostly hellish/sleepless with him getting shingles near his left eye with excruciatin g pain, then post shingles pain. It is getting better now, but it’s still on duty 24/7 since I never know when he’ll have a lapse and all practical items are on my plate. I try to keep up with my outer life — but sometimes lack of sleep makes it impossible. But I’m coping, finally getting some good outside help for him — just got aphasia diagnosis and that’s leading to some therapy that’s covered. I write all that to say, it’s a lot… though I know many here are under even much more pressure and harder roads. What I’m wondering is, is it possible for friends and family who haven’t had a partner who’s very impaired to have any idea what this is like? What do I do when they say “I get it, my cousin had cognitive issues “ etc? I know this is maybe petty but it makes me feel lonelier when people think they understand but to me they have no idea what it’s like to have your life partner fading away…

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand your pain completely. This illness SUCKS!!!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It truly is very difficult for anyone who has not been in this position to understand it. And each individual has a different level of impairment, which changes daily. I suppose the only place I've found that this "understanding" has been of value is when I've had to curtail outside activities because of my DH's condition. They let me "drop out" without asking much more…not great, but it's the only thing I've found. YMMV

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Petra- I wasn’t feeling left out. Just acknowledging that our journeys are not the same and answering the question you asked.
    I’m going to guess that some people on the outside think they do know your struggles - and that adds to the frustration and sadness.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I can understand from both sides…now. I used to assist my FIL about 2 hours every afternoon after work. He was 88 caring for my MIL with Alzheimer’s. I felt overwhelmed at the time. Now after caring for my husband with the same disease, I realize that I truly had absolutely no idea what my FIL was going through…until now. I also was one of those people who would say that I understood what others were going through. I really didn’t. I let it go when someone makes that comment because I know they think they do understand. But sometimes I do want to scream. Thank goodness I have self control.

• Petra2024
    Petra2024 Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Thanks I just wanted to make sure, and I really appreciate your posts ;)

• Petra2024

I’m very grateful that this space exists— it helps so much…

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I don’t think my family gets it at all. I don’t fault them on that. I do think that people are well intentioned. I know myself that sometimes it is hard to know what to say in some situations. It’s impossible to know what it is like until you’ve been there. I find being a 24x7 caregiver of a LO with dementia is a very lonely place. I am so so so grateful for this space as I know you all understand, care, and are willing to help whether listening to someone vent, sharing experience or advising.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Elaine i had been wondering about you, am glad to hear from you though sad everything is progressing. You have more than a modicum of grace in very difficult circumstances.

• Petra2024

Elaine D I’m so sorry— that’s such a lot to deal with— and heartbreaking that you no longer have your DH as you knew him to be a support and companion with your own pain — I hope that you can find other sources of support as you go forward, including this space…

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

This string was very helpful for me. I so agree that people who say they understand your pain really do not unless they have lived it. I am the sole caregiver for my LO, 24/7. His adult child has stayed with us now for maybe a month to help out, and it drives me crazy when the adult child attempts to provide unwanted advice to me who is living the nightmare 24/7. I sometimes feel like saying "you don't really understand unless you lived it everyday" but I don't becos I need the help. I know they mean well and want to help and just don't understand. They read all the information on the internet about the disease but its not the same as actually dealing with it.

I apologize for sounding frustrated.

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you so much for this conversation. I can relate to so much of the dialogue and I am blown away by the compassion and understanding that is found among the replies and for each other. I am so grateful to have found you all. I will carry this conversation with me as I navigate my own feelings of frustration and loneliness. Thank you.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ElaineD

It's nice to hear from you even if the news is not what one would wish for you. I am so sorry things continue to progress for you both.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

@AnderK The needlepoint is lovely, and I'm so glad you have at least one outlet for your creativity still. I'm a crafter (knitting) too, and used to to needlepoint. There's something meditative about handicrafts that helps me, too.

• Petra2024

Thanks for your post, which rings so true to me, and the photo of that beautiful flower.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I understand how you feel and how frustrating well-meaning comments can be. My relatives used to ask how my DH was doing. I would give them the details and always get the same responses … “I am getting so forgetful too. I did this and that blah, blah, blah … and forgot this and that blah, blah, blah.” I used to just about cry after talking to them because they acted like what my DH was going through was totally normal because they were getting forgetful too. Now, I don’t let it upset me (most of the time anyway). When they ask me how he’s doing, I say … we’re doing good; taking it day by day. That doesn’t open the door for them to tell me how forgetful they are getting too. I do know that they think it somehow makes me feel better to know they forget things too.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

every comment you made about what can be irritating about what people say was spot on. I was speaking with my sister-in-law just the other day. She’s a retired nurse and she wanted to remind me that my husband who has COPD could just be dealing with low oxygen, I really tried hard not to show my irritation, his oxygen levels run 97 and 98% consistently, he’s not on oxygen. So I gave her some examples of what he does and says, and I said it’s not a lack of oxygen, he sounds just like his mother. She means well, but this has been going on for years. It didn’t just start yesterday.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Lovely. Both your post that says exactly how I feel about this, and your precious needlepoint. Forget me not. Yes, this entire thread is so poignant and true.

• Petra2024

THANK you — you said many things here that resonated, and I have just been realizing that I don’t even want to explain everything that is happening — it was good to hear your take on all of this. Thank goodness for this community!

• Petra2024

(I mean I had been wasting energy trying to explain to friends and family “how we’re doing” and I feel better saying less, and keeping energy for the important tasks. And because of all of you I am more aware of how others are often just trying to be supportive, so I can appreciate that even if I don’t feel they understand my situation. And as Howaboutnow said, even here on our board there are so many differences in our challenges. And yet we manage to help each other…)

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78

I spoke to my brother today. He always ask how DH is doing,then goes into what is happening with him,memory wise,. I told him today. Every time I you ask me I'm going to say fine. It's not but he doesn't really want to hear want to hear what is going on. There isn't really any sense in saying anything else. Probably wasn't the nicest thing to say but it was a rough morning.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I had a coworker that asked about my dh so I gave her an update. She kept asking so I finally showed her a picture and she says, "Oh! He looks GOOD!" I finally realized that she just wants the "fine fine" answer, so that's what she gets now.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I always just say, "We're hanging in there." Nobody wants the brutal details.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more