Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Freaking out somewhat

My DH is currently in a locked behavioral ward next to the ER at a local hospital. He’s had a series of escalating aggressive behaviors, so I finally decided he needed to get his meds adjusted at a Geri-psych ward. An ambulance took him from his memory care to the hospital this morning. He will be admitted later tonight to the ward. In the ER he got aggressive with the nurses and tried to get out so they put him in a locked ward. I was allowed to see him for 30 seconds and then they ushered me out. I just called to check on him, and they said he was sleeping, so that was a relief.

I’m hoping that any posters who’ve dealt with this situation can give me an idea of what to expect while he’s in Geri-psych. Is there anything I should keep on top of or any way I should advocate for him so he has as good an experience as possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

A geri-psych ward wasn't available where DH was in the ER unit. They used the leather restriction binds to hold him down until he had calmed down. I was aghast that he had been restrained this way, but to keep everyone safe, I suppose there's no other way. I had hoped they would keep him for a day or two to get the right meds, but he was showtiming so perfectly that the ER attending psych doctor released him, only for him to return to the ER within days.

Just glad these nightmarish days are gone and hope they never return. It's a blessing if you asked me that they're able to keep your DH until they can find the right meds. Do you have a diagnosis? Certain drugs are dangerous if it's Lewy Body.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The leather bindings sound terrible. I’m sorry your husband had to go through that. My DH has an Alzheimer’s diagnosis, though lately he has been having hallucinations. I do wonder whether he could also have Lewy Body, because both his grandparents had Parkinson’s and his aunt has Lewy Body dementia. I’ll be sure to mention that to the doctor when I get to talk to them. Thanks for the heads up.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited May 24

Thanks! It was even more horrible when the cops took him away in handcuffs. He was combative and didn't obey the officers' instructions. Thankfully, the officers were compassionate enough to ask for his jacket to cover up the handcuffs in his back so that prying neighbors wouldn't notice. And even allowed him to choose to go to the ER in their patrol car or via ambulance. DH chose ambulance. DH kept calling for me, and the officers steered him away from me cuz he had bruised me up which was the reason for call to 911. 3x I had to call 911 with a trip to the ER, all within 2 weeks. On the 3rd trip to the ER, his psychiatrist surmised it could be Lewy Body and prescribed rivastigmine. That night, DH slept through the night…which hasn't happened in a very long time.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Our psych ward experience was very very negative. They failed to give her her standing medications for ten days, and let her go through acute narcotic withdrawal which caused her to become combative. Additionally the inexperienced doctor told her that it was my fault she couldn't go home. I lodged Medicare and state health board complaints that resulted in sanctions and they never billed Medicare for the month long stay. So yes, you definitely need to be on your toes as his advocate. If something doesn't feel right, follow your instincts.

• clarinetist

What a nightmare. Horrible for her and you. I’ll be visiting my DH today and will check that they are giving him all his meds. Thanks for sharing your (very bad) experience and sorry to hear it happened.

• clarinetist

It’s so hard when our loved ones are in the throes of an aggressive episode and can’t listen to instructions. In the episode that triggered this hospitalization, the memory care called me in the middle of his episode. I was driving in heavy traffic (luckily stop and go) and while I was talking to him I heard the nurses and aides telling him to put something down. Luckily it turned out to be only a fork, but I was pretty worried at first. My DH did listen to me finally and deescalated.

So sorry it took 3 911 calls and injuries to you for you and him to get some relief. Glad to hear he’s doing better.

My DH was admitted at midnight and the nurse who called me asked many questions about his care, which was reassuring. I did mention the possibility of Lewy Body dementia.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 24

Dear Friends, @Dio and @M1 — thank you for sharing these experiences here as it helps us all. I have my own nightmare ER tales and a couple of hospital- admittance experiences that no caregiver or PWD should have to go through. Please, please, please take a moment to copy and paste your posts for input into the request for info that our longtime PWD member and public advocate, Michael Ellenbogen shared recently (via member @Lane Simonian). HERE is that thread with the comment link (before June 10 I believe). Sooner is probably better, in case it closes early. Thank you.

We can help many more people if this feedback is shared with the formal policy team that is looking to assess and improve hospitalization experiences for PWDs. @clarinetist we understand your angst as so many of us have been there. We need an ombudsperson or PWD interpreter standing by for such situations as the medical and police systems are not equipped. The entire transport and treatment system needs to be transformed. We can help. I think we probably are the only ones who can. (People actually living this experience, I mean). Please share it in response to his urgent request for all of our input, and encourage others to do so if you are in other IRL or virtual groups, etc. Thank you!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I am considering submitting comments, but sadly I have to say that I’m a cynic in this area too. I’ve been involved in many lobbying efforts over the years through the American College of Physicians, and these grandiose proposals have good language but few teeth. The generalities are overwhelming and the funding is not there. But I know we have to continue to try.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH (stage 4-5 at the time, living at home, never aggressive or violent) went into the hospital in February with pneumonia, and wound up in the ER for four days. During that time he became extremely aggressive, anxious, frightened, incontinent — all understandable given the loud, bright, noisy environment. I pushed for him to be moved to a private room but was told the nurses did not want him there because he was violent. I argued that he was violent because they kept him in an impossible situation (complete with restraints, which he broke out of). The person in charge (I'm still not sure who) wanted to put him in the psyc area, a locked hallway for people who are the threat to themselves or others. Fortunately his appointed doctor after the 2nd day pushed very hard to have him moved to a room, and I confronted the administrator as well. We were able to get him in a private room, where he immediately calmed down, slept, ate, and while still very confused returned to his sweet funny self.

My take-away is that you have to advocate at the top of your lungs, and recruit whoever you can to help. It is beyond cruel to keep someone with dementia in the ER. I don't know that a psyc ward is any better. I hate to think what would have happened to my DH had been on his own.

Wishing you all the best, knowing how very hard this is.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more