Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

10 Absolutes in Dementia Care

ButterflyWings
ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Shared by another member here - Thanks Chug!

Here is one you can download or print:

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 846
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you, Butterfly Wings. These are all good reminders.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Added to new caregivers group: https://alzconnected.org/group/32-new-caregiver-help

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    edited May 24

Thank you so much for the link to print or download. This is priceless.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

A very good reminder. Thank you

• pachana
    pachana Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

How about for those of us having to care who can't do those things? If we were social workers, we would chosen that career.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 1

Before experiencing this life I may have said, "can't, or won't?" — or maybe "well it comes with the territory and you must do those things, or should not be a caregiver".

Now, I definitely do believe that some cannot. And I totally understand that. This is extremely tough, stressful and beyond, for the carer and not everyone wants to nor should be in this role. I am not sure of the details for "having" to care, but hope that you and others who feel this way can find an alternative situation and caregiver for the PWD in question.

Dementia only goes one way as we know. It gets harder and so does the road for the caregiver. Without being able to do the things listed on the chart, and more, it is unfair to both the PWD and the caregiver. At least the latter has a choice in most cases. You can choose not to serve in the role. But for anyone who stays, I really hope they will practice and try hard to embrace the approach above. For your sake and especially our PWD LOs.

• ccb23
    ccb23 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Thank you for this. It will be a very helpful reminder for me.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I too share your personality traits. I am a proponent (as was my DH) of precise language, facts, efficiency, realistic expectations and this is how I hold my own life together. ALZ caregiving is challenging every fiber of my being. I want my DH grounded in facts, communicating with precise language being efficient, having realistic expectations. This incredibly talented and smart man I married no longer is like this. It breaks my heart every day and it literally is destroying the foundation of our daily lives.

Will we adjust? Do we have any choice? Time will tell.

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It is hard, and I know we all make mistakes. I know i do. I am beginning to learn that life is better for both of us if I let the unimportant statements rest. When i first attended an in person group the group leader said "don't be a right fighter". That has been the most important piece of information i have learned.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more