Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Veteran's Resources - for Housing Modifications, etc.

ButterflyWings
ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

HISA grants: https://www.prosthetics.va.gov/psas/HISA2.asp

— Lifetime benefit for Veterans and Servicemembers. $6,800 will be approved to: Address a service-connected disability; Address a compensable ...‎Clothing Allowance · ‎Guide and Service Dog page · ‎Automobile Adaptive EquipmentPeople also askHow much is the VA hisa grant? Will the VA compensation increase in 2024?Is the sah grant going up in 2024?How much is VA clothing allowance for 2024?Feedback

Disability Housing Grants for Veterans: https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/disability-housing-grants/

— If you qualify for an SAH grant, you can get up to $117,014 for FY 2024. This is the current total maximum amount allowed for SAH grants.

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi ButterflyWings,

Thank you for your post. My DH was a marine who was at Camp Lejeune (with water contamination) and Viet Nam (where agent orange was used). The VA denied any service connection for him for disability. I appealed it and they denied it again. He has been approved for VA health care. However, because they do not acknowledge the service relations, they classified him low on the list for receiving any benefits past the basic health benefits. Am I missing something?

• ButterflyWings
    edited June 1

@Denise1847 I am really sorry to hear that he and you are receiving any pushback at all for this. The class action lawsuit is likely to make some changes, so I would keep trying. But it makes me ill to think of the exposure, suffering, and then this negligence and refusal to help health issues that were caused by his line of work.

On current Camp L webpage, near the bottom of the list, the VA lists "neurobehavioral effects/Parkinson's disease" as qualifying conditions. I would insist that is neurobehavioral effects and/OR Parkinson's in all my advocacy. You need a realistic Dr who is going to help make that direct link to the Lejeune water and his symptoms, in your claim. https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/index.asp

And I have seen Agent Orange acknowledged by the VA as a factor in many vets' conditions including dementias. Who did you file with? I wonder if a patient advocacy rep or different PCP or VSO or Ombudsman could help. It may have to come from outside the VA in your area if they are playing hardball on this. I am so, so sorry. Thank you for your service but can't help you once you're infirm and if you are both elderly and infirm, too bad.

• ButterflyWings

FWIW, my DH has 0% service connection but at Priority 4, Catastrophically Disabled status (due to Alz) he still qualifies for minimum HISA help.That should get a roll-in shower modification in our bathroom, at least. His social worker started the process which is long and slow, for his PCP to refer him for HISA OT visit and evaluation of the space. Then in theory they will approve for me to have 2-3 bids I think, and then get it done.

I posted the links for others who might have more need and eligibility. Sure hope you and your DH can get this denial reversed.

• Denise1847

Thank you. Yes, it makes me ill just thinking about it. We are involved in the class action lawsuit via a lawyer, but that seems to be going nowhere. I had applied for disability compensation for him and appealed it. He had 2 independent docs the first time talk to him. We were probably in their offices 10 minutes. It was a sham. The second time, they just reviewed the records and denied it.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 3

+ https://alzconnected.org/group/32-new-caregiver-help

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I would get an attorney who specializes in VA Claims. Does he have any other medical conditions? Diabetes, heart, cancer?

• SDianeL

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7835948/

• SDianeL

If your husband has diabetes or ischemic heart disease, the VA will approve Alzheimer's Dementia claims as secondary to those. The link is the key to success. For example, Diabetes is a direct result of Agent Orange exposure and Dementia is secondary to Diabetes. Here's a case with the approved outcome: https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/Files2/1809055.txt

• Denise1847

Yes, he has atrial fibrilation and congestive heart failure.

• SDianeL

heart disease is now on the presumptive list for Agent Orange if he was exposed. Talk to a Veteran Service Officer in your county.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Denise, my husband was denied 2 different times. He was in Viet Nam, on the river boats. After he was denied the 2nd time I requested a copy of all his military records. It took awhile to get them! But they had said he was denied because they could not prove he was on the river. When I finally got the documents it not only showed when he was there but the number of the boat he was in charge of! I will say in my own opinion they do not want to take the time to do their research. I did ask one of the people I spoke with how many in that department (the ones that are supposed to check out the information) how many had ever served in the military. Surprised not one single person making these decisions have ever served. Finally we got the letter saying that David was 100% disabled and they “conceded “ (their word) that yes his dementia was related to agent orange.
    we got the letter a week before my husband went in the hospital and passed away a week later! Now I’m having to fight the VA for all the back pay he was supposed to get. Because he died before they deposited his money! Sorry didn’t mean to be negative here, I only wrote to let you know you have to keep fighting for your dh! High blood pressure is another factor that will get him approved.
    best of luck to you!

• melvina30
    melvina30 Member Posts: 7
    Third Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I had the same problem with the VA that Joydean did. My problem started with VSO rep who removed his Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia from his initial claim because she said they were not covered. I guess she has a DR. in front of her name and wears a white coat. When we saw a doctor for his exam she didn't even listen to his heart even though he had AFIB. In her report, she wrote that he was pretending to be comatose. She ask me what I thought caused his dementia and I said agent orange, diabetes, hypertension, Afib, Vascular Dementia, Alzheimer's She responded to me that diabetes does not cause dementia. Such a rinky-dink appointment. My husband did get a 10% diabetes rating as of June 2023 back dated to August of 22 because of the Pact Act. In July 23, I filed an objection to the results and proceeded to forward his case to a attorney that specializes in VA claims. They reviewed his file and accepted it. One month later, my husband passed away. Since his claim was in process I was allowed to continue with it. In March 24, he was awarded 100% and added to his previous 60% was granted Aid and Attendance for the months of July - Sept 23. I am still waiting for the last months payment I also was awarded DIC for the rest of my life because his death certificate listed diabetes as a secondary cause of death. this was awarded last December before he was awarded disability for VD. My sailor was also on river boats in Viet Nam and exposed to Agent Orange. He was always so proud of his military service and would have done it again if needed. He served 26 years and retired as Senior Chief. I miss my best friend.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more