Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

what does this mean & what are next steps

DrMC
DrMC Member Posts: 8
First Comment

Hello, my LO is starting to exhibit physical challenges that I think are related to her ALZ diagnosis. I noticed maybe a month or 6 weeks ago that every now and then I would see that she would shake. So we bought plastic plates and cups for the house but she refuses to use them. Well this morning she couldn't manage a small bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. She was shaking so bad I don't think she knew what to do. I didn't see it happen but I am thinking she started to shake uncontrollably and spilled out at least 1/2 of her juice in the kitchen, onto her and the floor. She would not really acknowledge what happened except to say that she made a mess. I realize I am going to need to go back to bringing her, her food etc.

I have looked at the information about the stages but my LO seems to all over the place. What is the best way to decipher stages?

As a side note I am in Wichita, KS and I am looking for an activity or day center for her to go to, does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

If you haven't already, I would recommend taking her to the doctor for an examination. There may be unrelated reasons for the change.

• DrMC
    DrMC Member Posts: 8
    First Comment
  • ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Let us know how everything goes.

You also asked about stages. I've heard it said that the if the person is exhibiting one behavior of a stage, that is the stage they are in. I think the stages are useful information, but I have never put too much focus on what stage my mother is at. It's more informational for me - I guess a roadmap of things to come. However, every person is different and will progress differently so my focus is on our unique situation while being aware. I hope that made sense!

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

If her doctor has a patient portal that is a great way to get information to the doctor before a visit. Some people with dementia can be very defensive about their symptoms, causing upset. We did this when we had trouble getting mom to shower. Doctor brought it up and we were off the hook a bit. It’s also a chance for you to really think through everything you are seeing and make sure you don’t forget anything.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more