Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not a good day, steeling myself

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,711
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner hasn't had a bath in a week and she is only eating if I'm there to feed her. She was very combative about a bath yesterday and wouldn't even let me help her get clean clothes on, so i left her standing half naked in her bathroom. I did tell one of the aides what a state she was in.

I think I need to let both of these things go more. She won't let any of the aides help her, so i am pretty sure my stepping back will hasten the end. But maybe that's what needs to happen now. Hard choices.

Comments

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm so sorry this is so very hard. God speed to you both.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Not just hard, desperately hard @M1 . It's beyond sad when folks make it so hard to help them. Perhaps it is the only way. I'm so sorry it has to be this painful.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I don't know how the staff at memory care manages to get my wife changed, dressed, or bathed. At home it was always a fight. The other day I got there after lunch, and she had spilled food on her blouse. I tried to get it off of her so I could put on a clean one, but she would not let me. I miss not having her at home, but not the constant struggle.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@M1)))

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 5

Dear Friend - I will say again for the folks that don't know already, that DH has not bathed in years. Literally. A quick sponging off/wipe of the hot spots suffices and he smells fine, has no skin breakdown or infections, and requires minimal personal care in that regard. Whether from me or the aide, or CNA. No shower or bath? Its OK. Same shirt 2-3 days in a row? Possibly. Its OK.

I do put a "bib" on him sometimes depending on what he's eating and if he is feeding himself which is prone to spills. But otherwise, he's not going out or to the office, so who cares if he actually bathes or showers as long as he is wiped down, lotioned up, and undergarments are changed frequently? That has saved my sanity.

Not eating is something else entirely and if the appetite change is not medication related, I agree it may be progression and her body's way of helping move another step toward the inevitable. Hard as it is to let it ride, I think we have to. I pray for his release and relief and then coax him with foods that can help slow the recent steady weight loss. Mixed messages to myself, I know, but there it is. Yes, it helps provide more quality of life while he declines and also hopefully minimizes his suffering, but it also prolongs the downward spiral perhaps. I completely understand what you are going through.

Hugs.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am sorry you are going through this. Difficult decisions. For your own health and well being, stepping back may be a good choice.

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

M1 my ❤️ aches for you.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@M1

I second what fmb posted. Nothing you do or don’t do is going to change the outcome. If something starts upsetting her, then do exactly what you did. Stop, tell the staff, and leave. She will calm down quicker that way. I’m so sorry that it’s like this. Just adds stress upon stress.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

please keep us updated…..

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m very sorry M1

Know these are difficult decisions to make

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

M1 I am so sad for you. Your advice has helped me to understand and cope with my mom's decline so many times. I wish I could give back something that would help you and your partner. Love to you both.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Another way to look at it is to think in terms of her comfort. Especially in the late stages, we often tend to think only in terms of physical comfort, but especially for a PWD, emotional comfort is just as important. As hard as it is for you to see her upset and agitated, it must be even harder for her to feel that way. As QBC said, stop, tell the staff, and leave…and do NOT feel guilty. Praying for you both. ((Hugs))

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

M1, there are truly no words to comfort you! Please know that you've done everything possible for your wife throughout your journey caring for her.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

M1, you are both in my thoughts.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am thinking of you, M1. You are doing the very best that can be under the circumstances with the challenges that exist. Sending you a hug to put in your pocket to take out when you need one.

J.

J.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending my hugs to add to everyone else’s ….

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry @M1

I don't have any wise advice to offer, only that I empathize with you, as I've been down this path … Peggy's friend M and I tried everything we could think of to get Peggy to eat. Sometimes we got a small win, but mostly we failed. Like @ButterflyWings said, it's probably the progression at this point, and unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done.

As for bathing, when Peggy was in later stage 6 and stage 7, she also refused to shower. Bed baths were the answer (for her). Kind of like a thorough wipe down. She protested some, but not a lot.

You're both in my thoughts.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

M1, I’m sorry this is so difficult for you. You’re doing the best you can, and leaving when you did sounds like the only thing you could do in this situation. Bed baths, even a little at a time can be effective when she is in a more cooperative mood. I usually try to get my DH into the shower right after toileting in the morning when he’s still half asleep. Any other time lately, he’s opening and closing the shower door, repeatedly sitting and standing. He’s like a moving target, trying to clean one area at a time. It’s easier just to clean exposed skin with a soft cloth or wet wipe whenever the opportunity presents itself when he’s doing something else.
    Thoughts and prayers for both of you.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1, I wish I had some advice to offer but unfortunately I do not. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

M1. Our hearts break a little bit more at each decline in our loved one. Sometimes all we can do is say to ourselves that we are doing the best we can, that it is not our fault, it is not their fault either. My heart is with you across the miles. ❤️ Kathy

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

{{{M1}}}

Thinking of you and your love.

xoxo

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Such a difficult journey! I wish you both a gentle time together before the end of her life.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

M1,

IME, the closer DW got to the end of her journey, the more gut wrenching it felt for me. I too agree with the thoughts posted by fmb. I empathize with your struggles as you walk this extremely difficult part of the path with your beloved partner. You continue to be in my prayers.

Tom

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear M1, sometimes you just have to walk away. Not forever but for a time. Like others have said, they will figure it out. DH now has an unkempt beard that he won't let me or the aids touch. He won't let anyone shave him nor will he try to shave himself. He doubled up his fist at the nurse the other day. He only eats one or sometimes two meals a day. I can't control any of this. It hurts my heart but the nurse assured me that she has dealt with this before. I have had to walk away from it and let the MC staff take care of him. He isn't as far along as your partner but is advancing. I wish I could change things for you…and for myself. Please take good care of you. You have had a long journey and need to rest and find some peace. Sending hugs and prayers.

Brenda

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace, comfort, and strength to you both.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry M1. I understand partly where you are at. Who knows if stepping back will hasten her decline but I would think it probably would. If the aides can't feed, change or bathe her it could happen sooner than later I would think.
    This is such a long drawn out struggle. We truly feel where you are.
    My DW is becoming the same way. The MC says she doesn't eat much and wont' eat at all if she doesn't have help so the aides have to hand feed her but she gets irritated at them coaxing her to eat. She falls out of bed a lot so I bought a very cushy crash pad and that has helped prevent injury but it's just a matter of time before she falls again from a standing position. God I would hate to see her break something and be in that much pain.
    When I'm there all she does cry and tell me to never leave her, that she wan'ts to be with me forever.
    So heartbreaking to see her this way and it only gets worse. There's no remission, there's no getting better only worse.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I am impressed with the outpouring support from so many people. You are a very special and influential person.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more