Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Went looking for love

Crkddy
Crkddy Member Posts: 84
Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Well I did something I'm not very proud of, but I'm getting to the end of my rope. I have been so lonely and in need of companionship. DW is late stage and we are in year 7 of this journey. I'm still relatively young at 65. I decided to go onto one of those dating websites to see if I could find someone willing to spend time with me knowing my situation as a full time care giver for DW. To my great delight I did find someone. We got to know each other quite well via text and phone calls, and we arranged a visit to my home. This sweet person appeared to be all in, but then she saw the reality of my situation and decided it wasn't for her after all. Now I feel even worse and more lonely than before. I don't have regrets because I had a wonderful, though very short, relationship with a lovely woman. I know I won't do it again - too emotionally draining and soul crushing. But for a short while, I was alive again.

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think the key here is to manage expectations, both for yourself and for any potential partners or friends. Even just small casual conversations can be nourishing, and as other have said, if you create the situation for those conversations to begin, I think that's half the battle.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am in a similar situation. I'm not one to look elsewhere myself, but no one should judge you for doing so. You've been dealing with a difficult situation and coping the best you can. I hope you find what works for you.

• Crkddy

M1, I understand completely and I know you are going thru a very difficult time. It is remarkable that you continue to help so many others via this forum in the midst of your own struggles. For me, nothing about this journey has discouraged me from wanting to have a relationship again. What has been lost cannot be replaced, but I want to experience the joy again.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

It seems to me that jumping to a one-on-one relationship is pushing things. Why not seek out group activities that would provide opportunities to meet people with similar interests. I'm thinking of nature groups; hiking groups; bicycling groups; small concert or art venues, particularly if there are receptions afterward. Those are the sorts of activities that match my interests. Think of what you like to do and find an informal group activity that matches. Dancing? Bridge? Boating? Theater? The upside is that there's no urgency to put on a show for a stranger, as you would in a dating situation. Just be yourself and let things happen.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Amen to your comments - can't do this again.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry that you had that experience. Please take the opportunity to meet others and forge new relationships. You should be able to enjoy the rest of your life and part of that is having healthy relationships.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think this is wonderful for you. We are all different, with different needs. For some of us a group of like minded people is all we may need. But for others, there’s that longing for more. A deeper connection where we can share more of ourselves. Each of us has a right (without judgement) to seek out human connections when we have lost the most important one we had. This is a long, lonely road.

• Crkddy

Thank you FriendinMarylard for sharing your story. There is no doubt that your relationship is making all the difference in your gentleman's journey. Your analogy of lifeguard is so true. Life can be so cruel but also so wonderful at the same time. Know that your friendship with him is precious. I wish you the best.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi Crkddy, your definitely not alone, I'm in my 50s, been caring for DW going on 8 years. About 2 years ago, made the decision to seek love & companionship again. It was deeply conflicted, my love for DW has never waned, and for me I came to the realization (after a severe downward spiral in my health) that If I did not care for myself, I could never care for DW. I care for her still day-in/day out at home (now with in home care help). Her cognitive decline continues, and she has long since been unable to recognize me, other than a familiar caring smiling face. For me, I told my family, used dating apps as the most efficient vehicle to meet/talk and was up-front about my situation at the outset. Even joined an all-male EO support group and meet via zoom (that was very helpful to talk to other guys in my situation). When texting/talking I was up-front about my situation. Long story short, I'm in a committed relationship with a widower who simply gets me & I get her. Still recall initially her abruptly leaving our chat after hearing my story, week later, she reconnected, told me she read into EO FTD, saw alot of YouTube and had no idea about the toll this disease takes on those afflicted and those caring for them. She understood my heart. Two years later, we are still together and make time for ourselves and plan for our future, yet my DW still receives the best of care at home and will always have that until she passes. Your not alone and I certainly get you. Take care.

• JiminTexas
    JiminTexas Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Your comment of "I miss him, I miss us" hit me hard. That's what I feel and my DW is only early stage.

• Meg423
    Meg423 Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Fully understand how you feel but consider also that it could go the other way and you could also be in an awkward situation should your DW and the other person become friends and the two of you don't work out! I am living that right now and it is very strange. Take my advice should you embark on this type of relationship in the future, keep the two separate as long as you can and feel comfortable because having to see the person on a regular basis after I decided it was not for me — against her wishes and have her remain friends with my wife… needless to say, I'm a bit uncomfortable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more