Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Missing my life

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

just missing that “Someone loves me “ feeling 🥲

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Could that be replaced by “Someone needs you”?

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Definitely not the same. Once I moved into caregiver mode and he became more needy, the dynamic shifted completely. Yes, I definitely miss being loved for who I am. I’ve missed it for a long time now.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I still have it, even though I can see it slowly slipping away. I treasure what I have today because I know I will miss it terribly when it’s gone.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
  • bitbrawley
    bitbrawley Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

that’s my attitude! I keep going to the gym, play Pickleball and hang out with friends while I can

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I was just feeling the same way just a couple of days ago, tells me she love me all the time but somehow that closeness has become less. Nothing really UP about this illness. At least with other treatments ,no matter how bad , there’s some hope at end Sorry don’t mind me in that kind of mood.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I know the feeling. My spouse is still (mostly) pleasant and kind, but so flat emotionally, his "love" is meaningless. As friends and family die, the feeling grows.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@JC5 Same. It isn't nostalgia looking at pictures today, but songs are taking me there. Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald duet just hit me like a ton of bricks with the lyrics…"something in my heart always knew, I'd be lying here beside you…On My Own — why did it end this way? This isn't how it was supposed to be! On my own…"

@LindaLouise You nailed it: It is such a bizarre disease - we are exhausted and burned out and desperate for relief and a few moments to regroup and rest - but when that relief comes, the grief of losing my DH comes at me full force.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m not sure I can feel much of anything any more.

• FredW
    FredW Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I understand. And, I suspect most caregivers do too. It’s called ambiguous loss, and it hurts.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I grieve the loss of that deep love and connection so dang much. We still have our moments and I treasure them, even if they make me so sad sometimes too, knowing those will drift away too. I still think I grieve that as much as I grieve the awful path my poor DW is on and the injustice of what's happening to her.

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I miss my DH support and being on my own with decisions, etc. My DH is still very good to me, and is helpful as much as possible and I am thankful for this time.

Our marriage has been a loving one, but some things were different as my DH changes started to appear. I cannot ever imagine loving anyone as my DH again. He was and is my best friend.

This past weekend, I was in a slump because of several things going on…a friend passing, our 13 old dog declining health. Being around others this weekend only made me feel like some avoid me because they don’t know what to say. Makes me feel so lonely and I don’t know how to get over these feelings.

Many times like these, I so want my DH back, when he would put his arm around me to console me or talk about it. Some days like these I feel my life is over. When he sees I am quiet, watery eyes, he always ask if I am mad at him. So I put my arm around him and say no and find excuse. Tomorrow is another day.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I can understand your feelings of being avoided. I feel the same way more and more lately. Hugs to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more