Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not sure what to say when he doesn’t remember

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

We had some friends over for dinner last night and had a great time. My DH today is asking when everyone is coming over. I said they were all here last night for dinner and he said “I wasn’t there!” or “You had them over without me”. I just don’t know how to respond to this type of thing. He does this frequently. Any suggestions?

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My rule at that stage was to remind once. After that I'd move on, perhaps saying, "I'm not sure when they'll be able to come again," and move to distraction.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@annie51

For this particular line of inquiry, it would be best to consider that he is asking "when" doesn't recall it already happened. You could have said plans changed and are still up in the air and then pivot to "it'll be nice to see them again", "I hope it's soon" or another topic entirely.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

There is no point in reminding…just move along.I say that knowing full well it is not easy, sorry.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

lie and change the subject. Trying to tell him the truth will only make him anxious and argumentative. You can’t reason with someone whose “reasoner” is broken.

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

That is an interesting way to go about it. I will try that next time. Thanks for your suggestion

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Every evening my husband with Alz asks when the people are coming to our house and waits at the door to greet them after setting out an assortment of drinks and sometimes snacks. I try to distract him, but it doesn't usually work. So now I just say that I'm not sure when anyone is coming, but we will certainly welcome them in when they come. I let him stand at the door and watch since that isn't hurting anyone. That seems to placate him for a while. I also say that I haven't heard from anyone but will let him know if I do. It helps not to argue or try to convince him that he is wrong, just go along with it…

• Windsock
    Windsock Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Good morning. All very good technique with these suggestions. My issue is similar. My DW gets upset with me saying I need to communicate better! We will talk throughout the day up until just before dinner about our dinner plans. Several times throughout the day she will ask, “What’s the plan?” She gets angry at me because she was never made aware of the “plan” and I don’t communicate well. I used to go over the different times we had talked about it and in some cases show her the texts I had sent. Now I just let it roll off , occasionally saying that I’ll do better or use a subject change. It’s been a while since I tried saying “Babe, it’s your memory, we really did talk about it”. She would get a tear in her eye with the realization and sometimes apologize. It seems now that she Will probably get confused if I state that or she will get upset. I also don’t want to hurt her feelings. We always kiss good night, all was forgotten…..

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think we all lose patience now and then. And we feel guilty for it. We aren’t perfect humans and have been thrown into unfamiliar territory. I’m pretty good overall (at least I think I am), but still find myself getting short with my DH. I get flustered and he reacts to it. I always apologize, like you. Like others have said before, a breath and a pause prior to speaking can do wonders. That’s when I say to myself, it’s his brain, it’s not his fault.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 20

Hey Laurie, let us know what time to stop by and we will help you eat the hors d’oeuvres!

Have you tried telling him “they called and rescheduled for tomorrow” ? Rinse and repeat. Or whatever he would accept.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more