Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hint: preparing food in oven is less stressful

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I cook most meals for PWD, unless it's takeout. I found that using an oven causes fewer problems, since using a cooktop will often encourage PWD to "help", which causes more problems and poses danger.

With an oven (let's say it's baked cod on a sheet pan), you can quickly prep, put into oven and wait until done.

While this may reduce variety in the meals prepared, it seems OK since PWD may not remember if there was a repeated menu.

Tagged:

Comments

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@dancsfo , I agree with you. I use my oven all the time now. DH loves sweet potatoes, and I put them in first and add the protein (usually fish) later.I also use my microwave for vegetables almost daily, and my instant pot when it is too hot to turn on the oven. Like you, I have found that simpler, more recognizable meals are better, and repeating menus is not a problem.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,088
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Also agree - repeat meals is a non-issue. But along with oven or microwave, I also love my crockpot! I can put together some simple freeze-ahead meals ahead of time, let one defrost overnight, and just throw it in there.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for the reminders for using an instant pot or a crock pot. I'll start to use them and can get some stewed dishes again.

It's a good point @tigersmom made about recognizable meals. I often get asked "what's this", which I'm happy to answer but I think there's more enjoyment with simpler meals, not having to deal with bones, etc.

I have removed all the range knobs after one burner broke and cannot be repaired (and awaiting a new replacement stove), and not worrying about PWD leaving a flame on (even when I am around) has been a major relief. I'm not sure how to fib about removing the knobs when a new stove gets installed, but I'll figure something out.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good ideas. Meat can be difficult to chew and can become a choke hazard.

Iris

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

If you have an outdoor area safe from critters, you can put the crockpot outside to try to keep the house cooler. That's what I do.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more