Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Blame!

WIGO23
WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I don’t know if other caregivers have this issue but I am having a tough time handling it.

DH with ALZ has mild cognitive impairment with very short memory. Every single time he makes a mistake, he blames me. He recognizes the mistake but seems compelled to make it my fault. I don’t chastise him for his mistakes so, I really am puzzled as to why he strikes out this way. Is he embarrassed? Is he trying to find a reason for the mistake other than the obvious?

I have tried saying the mistakes are just the disease and no one’s fault. It’s makes no difference. He just persists and goes on and on. I have gotten to the point of Just leaving the room as there is no point listening to his “logic” of why I am always at fault.

Comments

• mom2boyz
    mom2boyz Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Hi WIGO23. I understand completely where you are coming from. My DH has PCA secondary to early onset ALZ.

I think it's embarrassment along with frustration because it is mild and they know what's happening to them.

One thing I keep trying to tell myself is not to reason or try to correct him. I make the mistake of trying to jump in and help when he struggles with something instead of waiting for him to ask.

It's not an easy journey we are on, just try to focus on the highlights and surround yourself with a good support system. If possible, take a little time for yourself as well just to breathe and remember it's not your fault.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I would suggest not even mentioning it’s because of the disease. For him, he doesn’t have a disease and his brain is trying to figure something out. He doesn’t want to hear he has a disease. I never point out my husbands mistakes. He often recognizes something went wrong and I always try to say casually we all make mistakes, it’s not a big deal. If I get the blame for something I apologize and say things such as “I made a mistake, I don’t know what I was thinking.” I apologize. I always try to deescalate. It took me awhile to recognize that my attitude, facial expressions or tone, had the potential for escalation.

• Jemije
    Jemije Member Posts: 6
    Third Anniversary First Comment

hello. My husband has slowly progressing AD but we went through times of conflict when I was trying to reason with him as I would have when his brain was functioning in normal mode. Somewhere I found this quote and it totally turned around my attitude. My relationship is no longer the equal one, at least cognitively, that it used to be. I came to accept the caregiver role without demeaning him.

GOLDEN RULES OF COMMUNICATING WITH PARTNER WITH DEMENTIA

Developing special sense dealing with people with memory issues begins with three Golden Rules:

1. Don’t ask direct questions
    2. Listen to the expert – the person with dementia – and learn from them
    3. Don’t contradict

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Do you want to be right or get along with him? Saying ‘sorry, I dont know what I was thinking’ when he blames you is going to go a long way with getting him off the subject

• JiminTexas
    JiminTexas Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I agree with eveyone's comments above. I have an engineering background and my bigget challenge was not contradicting my DW when she stated something tht was wrong. She takes it as a personal afront. Had to learn just to let it go. Same with her de ja vu, which I have not seen a lot of here. Most stories on the evening news have been shown for "the last three days", even if it was a wreck that happened that day. Same with literally every movie I suggested on Netfliks. "We" had seen them all, even ones that had just dropped. Had to just learn not to disagree just change the subject. When she continues to say she has seen the news or a movie I just have to say that I didn't remember and wanted to see it. Frustration level is high.

• howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 17
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife refuses to accept responsibility for anything she does incorrectly or messes she makes and reading your comments offers suggestions I needed to improve my behavior at those times. I had to learn the hard way to quit trying to reason out the responsibility and just let it go. Your comments about facial expressions is a big one for me to try. I know I get frustrated and tired and my expressions surely show it. I must try to manage that better and maybe it will help. I believe she knows something is not right with her and becomes afraid or frustrated when something goes wrong. Admitting a mistake must surely confirm to her that something is wrong. I have to let it go better. Sometimes allowing her to make a mess, within reason, may be the "right" answer for that battle. I can clean it up. I don't want to give her up to this disease and I think I try to debate her on issues in hopes she is still inside there and will come back. Every time I yield to the disease I feel that I have lost another part of her to it and I hate losing. In the late evening when she is tired and sits so close to me on the sofa and won't let go of my hand or arm and tells me what I good person I am is the time I wish for every day. I wish all day could be just those couple hours.

• PS67
    PS67 Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I completely understand. Home is anything but a haven.

• PS67
    PS67 Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Very helpful. Thank you.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have read that one symptom of FTD is reduced empathy, and that is certainly true for us. The fact that something would be inconvenient, much less painful, to me, does not matter to him, most of the time.

• BarnesL
    BarnesL Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I feel the same way as all these comments. I have not been correct in a discussion with my DW for over 4 years now. I always just agree with her point of view and that usually ends it. It's much better to just be wrong and end the topic. I get a lot of comfort from all the posts on this website.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. ((hug))

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

you will find a level of relief once you start taking blame. It was difficult/frustrating in the beginning, but now it’s just the norm and comes easily. So much less drama.

• Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I can soooo relate to all of these posts. All day long I just take the blame for everything…don't even consider defending myself no matter how ludicrous it is. He has actually always done this…I used to say I was sorry at least 50 times a day just to try to keep him from having an outburst…this has been for over 50 years. Now I don't apologize…just don't argue with him and hope the lecture isn't too long (usually he goes on for at least 2 hrs, sometimes much more). Been a rough couple of days so doing some venting…thanks for listening!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more