Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Death watch

13»

Comments

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I have been thinking of you often, wondering how it is progressing and how you are holding up. You have been a rock for many of the people here, and I hope you are feeling some strength and support too.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

May you both be embraced in the loving arms of Our Lord and be comforted. We are only here for a short time, but it doesn’t end here. On the other side of the veil there is incredible happiness. Know that you are loved.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

M1- I am relatively new here but want to add my voice to the many loving others on this site who are so clearly sitting with you in spirit as you so lovingly sit with your partner. Wishing you and your partner peace in this moment!💕

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thinking about you today, M1 and praying for you, too.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@M1 Just checking in with you. Are you getting any rest? I noticed the timestamp on your post on my thread . 1:28am. Sounds like you aren’t sleeping well.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry that you and your DW seem to be in a "stalemate" with the dying process. Yes, you still have her with you, but I know it must be tearing your heart into pieces to have to watch this. Simply hoping that something goes your way soon. Take care.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Im truly sorry M1. I can't speak for everyone on this site but I'd like for you to know what an inspiration you have been for me. While you have gone through a lot, you have always taken the time to help others and give great advice. I do appreciate you! Thank you.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sometimes just waking and getting through the day is about all one can do.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

M1 I have often found support from this site but the most positive thing to come from it was a response to my first post. It was from a woman who lived in my same town so we agreed to meet for coffee. That was 7 years ago and we talk on the phone at least three times a week. We have been there for each other thru death, cancer, family divorces, births plus all the associated dementia issues. I wish there was a way for a phone tree to be established so people would have the opportunity to actually talk to each other. My thought is you can never have too many friends and even hearing another voice for 15 minutes does wonders to boost your spirits. Thoughts?

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m sorry M1. I look forward to your comments every day and I’m disappointed if I don’t see one.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@M1 I totally relate to the not sleeping. If you noticed, I posted my comment to you at 4:46am. I wake up multiple times a night and at least half of them mean I’m awake a half hour or more. The result at the end of the day? It’s 8:24pm. I'm in bed, checking out things on my phone, preparing to read my kindle too. Probably won’t try to sleep for a couple hours. I will wake up around 7AM. Spouse is in bed too. Asleep already. He gets up around 4am.

As you tell others, just do what you can. Some days that means you get something done. Other days, it means the TV or the Kindle are the our friend for the day.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@M1

I hope I'm not overstepping, but I gently suggest that you try to see your granddaughters and call or email a friend once in a while. Caregiving, even while at a facility surrounded by aides and staff, is a lonely existence. ((Hugs))

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

M1, I, too, am usually up very early in the morning but I don't seem to get as much done as you do. If I get one thing crossed off my list in a day it's a win. Hang in. I know this is hard. Sending hugs.

Brenda

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

If I can offer up a comment re the call tree suggestion:

Early 80's in Orange County, California there existed a dial-a-joke line. It evolved and those who ran it had an alternate number where when random callers called in, they were connected for something like a five minute conversation before being disconnected. I wonder if there's anyone savy who could set up a system like that…each caller is randomized, and can share contact information only if they'd like to continue the conversation. But you could call in anytime, and if there was someone else out there who wanted a conversation you'd be connected. It could be a call in number only available to members here. Just a thought.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 5

I'm an introvert too (and need my down time) but I would love to find some phone-friends close by in Central Texas. If interested in a phone-friend (either man or woman), please send me an email thru this site!

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The waiting is excruciating at best. You are doing the very best you can is crappy (not my word) circunstances. Be kind to yourself. My thoughts are with you. Kathy

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thinking of you and a soft hug being sent your way.

J.

P.S.:

Years earlier, when this site was still fairly young, open contact was put into play, BUT; it presented unforeseen problem issues with people who were not on the positive side of the ledger in different ways. Very disappointing; we gave up and went back to our usual online messaging and things returned to safer and saner. As said, very disappointing. Always someone or a few lurking, looking to take advantage or to become a very negative influence - sometimes seems like that sort comes out of the woodwork.

I find this site priceless and it helped me keep my head above water when I was in the throes of my experience of my LO with dementia.

J.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

@M1 I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and wishing you strength through these "one foot in front of the other" kind of days. I understand that sometimes this gets so overwhelming you feel as though you're walking through mud just to get the daily things done. I have those days, too. It's such a tough road, I'm just hoping it isn't too much longer for either of you. (P.S. I'd put seeing the grandkids high on my priorities, if I were you. I've observed that young ones are often much more able to "live in the present moment" than us older folks. YMMV)

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This part is hard, @M1 . I am so sorry for both of you. Every single aspect of your partner's progression has been traumatic.

With my dad, I only became seriously concerned that death might be imminently possible about 4 days before he died. This spared family the situation in which you find yourself. With my aunt, it was more as you describe which suspended the lives and routines of those family members on the ground (mom and I were several states away caring for dad at the time) supervising her care for her for weeks. It was a painful and protracted period of emotional "on-call".

HB

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Hello M1. Checking in as a Brother in Arms as I am in the same place in my journey with Melissa.

Hang in there. The end, while uncertain how long it will take, is in sight. That is providing me with comfort and helping me to lean into this and connect our souls for the next journey. ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more