Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MedicAlert bracelet or something else?

MedicAlert Foundation sells bracelets and monitoring. Family notification is included at the $55/year level and for $75 they will "work with local authorities to get them home." Alternatively I can just buy a similar bracelet on Amazon and have my cell number engraved and skip the monitoring. Does anyone have opinions on the pros and cons?

Tagged:

Comments

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 28

Bracelet may be useful for a caregiver (solo/primary) in case you get into an accident and they can know you are taking care of a PWD.

But I think for purposes of locating a wandering PWD, given that it's easy to locate a caregiver via cell phone using your engraved bracelet method with no monitoring, and other modern methods like GPS locators, I think the benefits of these bracelets have declined compared to (say) many decades ago.

See earlier posting here.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JackN

Hi and welcome. Wandering/elopement takes a multifaceted approach. Prevention first with multiple safety nets.

Unless you're in a major city, I would encourage you to reach out to local first responders via their non-emergency number to find out if there are any programs already in the community from which you could benefit. Some PDs offer programs including tracking devices for people with autism or dementia.

You might also check if your community first responders are using Smart911 which allows you to complete special instructions in the event of a fire, ambulance call or police call. You can upload pictures, alert to special needs, link medical information, who is normally in the home, pets, etc. I have a lock box on mom's house since she lives at home and Smart 911 knows the combination to get in via the door rather than breaking it to get in. They have my contact information and the preferred hospital.

Smart 911 offers a layer of protection for you should your LO be unable to advocate for you in an emergency.

Smart911

Some people rely on GPS devices of some sort— trackers, smartphones, smart watches, Air Tags. These have their limitations. The PWD can become separated from their tracker by leaving it home, taking it off, having it stolen or leaving it somewhere in their travels. They can be reasonably accurate but aren't spot on at times and sometimes don't update for quite some time. My mom, without dementia, wears an Apple Watch I can track. She's on a trip right now with my niece and I was curious as to where they opted to go to dinner. When I checked, it showed her in the middle of the harbor rather than the restaurant. When she's home it sometimes positions her on the other side of the interstate inside an auto parts warehouse about 0.4miles as the crow flies.

If you're considering ID bracelets, you'll need 2. The one for you should include that you're responsible for a PWD so that they can notify your backup caregiver. There are lots of companies and even etsy offering them in a range of styles from the standard and very recognizable stainless ones to those that look like fashion jewelry. I personally like Road iD which comes one silicon bracelets that look like FitBits to a tag for one's shoelaces.

ROAD iD - World Leaders in Runner ID, Cycling ID & Medical ID

IMO, the plan upgrades to MedicAlert seem unnecessary for most. If your LO is found by a neighbor or first responder, they'd call you. I'm not sure you'd need the people who sold you the bracelet to do the same. That said, were I to do this for mom, I would opt for the middle plan because one of her implanted devices needs special settings for MRI.

HB

• JackN
    JackN Member Posts: 3
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

Thanks dancfso and harshedbuzz.

I am using a "Gizmo" watch which my LO accepts. It is intended for children but has tracking features and is somewhat inconspicuous. I am looking for a backup. I'll go ahead and order a bracelet from Amazon. IDK if she will accept it. I think I can get by without a bracelet myself since I have ICE contacts on my phone.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I have a medical alert button that is covered by Medicaid due to me being a fall risk. Great sense of security.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 30

re:  ICE contacts on phone

I agree in principle, and I hate to be a pessimist, but if you get into a bad accident, and your phone is broken, then you want a backup. I think a bracelet is tough, like a soldier's dog-tag, right? But a note placed in your wallet (maybe laminated?) can be okay too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more