Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does DH really have AD? He seems so normal.

Maru
Maru Member Posts: 57
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH has seen the neurologist and had brain scan, EEG, verbal and visual test and has been Wdiagonosed with AD, but 99% of the time he seems so normal. I begin to feel like I made a mountain out of a mole hill. For years, he has been saying, " Oh, you know what I mean."

About a month ago, he peed all over the bathroom floor twice in a week, but not since then. Could he just have been too sleepy to notice? When he called our great grandchildren our nephews and nieces, was that just a slip of the tongue? When he uses the wrong word, am I just being too literal?

I could go on. Everything is episodic…every now and then. Is this normal? I question my own sanity.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That is the wonky thing about AD and dementia. I think someone once described it as a light bulb with a loose connection. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. For us, the time in between episodes got closer and closer together . It is indeed a mountain and not a mole hill.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 77

I have that feeling at times. Then something happens, last night I found his top sheet crumpled up in the bathroom dry, and I realize it's still here. Those times are great when everything appears normal. Enjoy them while they are there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it's a natural instinct to hope for the best, to want to deny, to plead that no, don't let this be happening to my loved one. And it is at times so slow, and there are flickers of the former person….wishful thinking that it won't progress. It's a hard lesson to accept the good moments when they occur and not ignore the grim reality in front of you. And every person is different—-so it sounds like your DH had word-finding difficulty as an early symptom. But the incontinence episode is quite real; that's how it starts, it's intermittent at first before it becomes continuous. And the misplacing relatives…I never would have believed that my partner could have forgotten my children, whom she has known since they were two and four (now both in their thirties). But she has. And she forgets her own career, that we ever lived together, or that we've been together for 30 years. It's eerie when your own history starts to disappear. Unfortunately the reality will present itself, sooner or later. Hang in there.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

yes it’s normal for them. I called my husband’s doctor for testing when he asked what my daughter’s relationship was to her brother. We had been married 34 years! Then he stopped being able to find words. He no longer liked certain foods he always liked before. He couldn’t think of the word for banana to go in his cereal. Then one day he asked how did we meet. I cried. I told him I had cancer and he said “what’s cancer?” 😢 Those things will happen more frequently and will be gut punches. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which really helped me after my husband’s diagnosis. This is the place to come for info & support. So sorry you are going through this.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It is totally normal in the early stages to question your sanity, but it's also, imo, a part of the denial we all go through in those early stages — Maybe this isn't really happening? Maybe it isn't real?

It will take a while to take it all in and there will be a quite a time where you retain that hope and denial. And, like the others have said, early stages will still have moments when they seem just fine.

If you are able at all, enjoy this time as much as you possibly can. Take that trip. Go out to great dinners with your DH. Enjoy concerts, plays or the opera. Because if it really is dementia, those will no longer be possible at some point.

xoxo

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Maru …. My husband is in year 10, and it’s only in the last year that people understand that he has Alzheimer’s. He always acted normal in front of everyone but me, and I always felt a little crazy as I was trying to convince family that he had Alzheimer’’s. I don’t think anyone believed me. But, now everyone that spends more than 5 minutes with him knows he has Alzheimer’s. It can be a very long road in certain stages. But, it eventually becomes evident to everyone. Enjoy the time together now, and don’t try to convince others to accept his diagnosis like I did. Spend time on this forum often. It’s a comfort to talk with people that understand.

• Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 57

You are right about this forum being a omfort. Two of our children live close by and they have spent enough time to see the slip ups if they are watching. The other 3 kids live too far for frequent visits and when they come, at least so far, he has been"normal". I am sending out periodic emails to keep them posted on his progress. They want to know, but I cannot share with them my personal angst, these feelings that I've fallen into , as someone said, down Alice's rabbit hole, and wondering which pill will I have to take today.

Thanks for your insights.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney