Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Type of humor that works with PWD

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Doctor gave me a handout on things that helps with brain health for PWD, and it included humor. I realize it depends on the person and stage, but I suspect that "juvenile" humor works with PWD, compared to clever things that may be hard to grasp. So this may include things like simple puns, knock knock jokes or even potty humor! Anyone have experience with humor that works with PWD? I'm trying different things, but will be happy to hear of ideas.

I found another post here with some jokes.

Tagged:

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I tried M1's jokes (from the other post) on my DH and they elicited an eye roll and a chuckle. DH and I have always liked silly puns, and even though he can't initiate the joke, he still gets them. It probably depends in part on what kind of humor the PWD enjoyed before dementia. Potty jokes would not go over well with my DH, for example.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 11

Interesting… MIL used to get a kick out of animal puns and funnies. Will try that again.

How do you catch a unique rabbit? You 'neak up on them.

The chicken crossed the road - ok, to get to the other side. Why did the fox cross the road? To prove to the possum and the skunk it could be done.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

My dad must've been the outlier here. His sense of humor remained as acerbic as always well into the middle stages.

Not long after dad was diagnosed, we had Thanksgiving at my niece's house. Said niece, 37, was newly dating a not-quite-30-year-old man after the death of the young man we all expected she'd marry. Dad was stuck on calling her a "cougar" which wasn't fun under the circumstances, and we called him out on it. He got stuck sitting next to me during dinner and when sad boyfriend ran down the stairs and dad deadpanned "It's so nice to have a child in the house, don't you think?"

A year later I saw him exchange joke punchlines in Yiddish with his geripsych. FTR, dad was a lapsed Catholic.

HB

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 173
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Self-deprecating humor is useful for shifting the mood when necessary. I can't think of an example right now but let them laugh at you - make something up if you have to.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I used humor a lot with my sister, and it usually worked, and worked well into stage 6.

The self-deprecating humor was always good. For me I'd always joke about my hair and nails (always done in colors not found in nature). But old Monty Python jokes worked just as well, probably since she saw most of those episodes in the 1970s. "Peggy is demonstrating how not to be seen. But we know where she is." Always got a laugh. 🙂

I think a key is to use something that is so familiar it's almost rote, but still funny.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited September 13

Makes me want to act out some Monty Python skits!

I see your point. The goal is to get a chuckle, so if I repeat a joke and it works, then it's all fine. You can say they are an ideal audience if they laugh each time even with the same joke.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 441
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

DH often laughs at some of the videos on America’s Funniest Videos. He never would have watched AFV before dementia. But the videos of the pets and little kids entertain both of us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more