Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New format is idiotic

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Ive been working with computer systems since 1970. The new format is ridiculous You need topic headings and full screen format for scanning a page . this is 20 something self indulgent foolishness

There are no bold or italic options in comments tehy took a working system and trashed it

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

But we now have emojis 🤣!

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I’m still undecided. I need to give it a few days to get used to it. Often when I try a new application or platform, it takes me time to adjust.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I’m not a fan at first look. I do not particularly like change. But, I’ll get used to it, as the site won’t go back to what it was.

The notification bell is new (or at least I never noticed it before). I’ve been promoted to level 3. What are levels? And what are badges?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    edited April 2023

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

MESSAGE FROM THE ARROGANT BRAIN DEAD

I GOT AN UNSIGNED EMAIL

Please refer to the instructions in the Community Tour section of the webpage entitled: Instructions: Post a Reply.  

There, you will see specific guidance on how to modify your text.

I post science articles for the community I need the bold italic and underline

what happened to them?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

Never mind

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

It wasn't broken........ugh!

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi to everyone who has found the board! It took me a while....the only upside so far is I can press the thumbs up, heart, etc. I know we will get used to it - but I'm not happy with the changes so far. Maybe in a month I will have a different take on it.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Just when I thought it cannot get worse this site went to heel. If they don’t fix it soon, I am leaving this place for sure as it really sucks now so much more.

I did this for a living and this is a joke in so many ways. I really was hoping for the better but as usual I am not surprise of the outcome. The AA never listens to the right people. They just think they know better  and this tell you all you need to know. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Yoikes!! I was a technological doofus before…….now I’m sunk. (Wondering if this will even post?). Grandkids have a half school day today, so no help there. If I’m never heard from again, it was great getting to know all of you. Good luck, everyone!!! Happy Easter!!

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

I just really don’t care about getting “likes”. Seems like it’s an adaptation to adhere to the instant gratification of social media that mainstream seem to need. There’s nothing similar with dementia so Im not sure these functions even fit. Maybe it’ll look a little different or function better on my ipad or computer like the previous platform? There are some facebook groups that may be a good go to.

edited: yep, better on my iPad

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

They certainly did not fix what needed fixing!!!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree that I'm not impressed at first glance. More rather than less difficult to track topics.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This new format loses much and gains little. Why couldn't they just fix a few things that many wanted like sorted searches?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I expected to log onto the new format and see some much needed improvements, like the search feature showing results in chronological order instead of dates scattered all over the place. That hasn’t happened. I expected it to be more intuitive to use for new members and for people who aren’t necessarily computer savvy. It isn’t user friendly. The birthday cake thing and the levels strike me as moronic. The usernames are tiny and harder to read.

The actual improvements like being able to easily insert photos within the post is nice. The Save Draft feature will be nice when it actually works.

The Bold and italic still work. The underline feature doesn’t, at least not on this tablet.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope they didn't pay for the change of format. I would call it an upgrade but it isn't. It functions just like a teenagers school project. Good job !

• CaringMate
    CaringMate Member Posts: 28
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes

Maybe this was nothing more than a cruel April Fool's joke! Clearly the people responsible for this debacle gave no thought whatsoever to the people who rely on this site to get through the next hour, day, week etc. Maybe saner minds will prevail and restore the site to its former self. Good luck with that, I know!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"The actual improvements like being able to easily insert photos within the post is nice." That's the one thing I like. But there's a LOT I don't like. Like with the old UI, you could quote just part of the post, but now you have to copy and paste it, or quote the whole thing.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's different.

If I no longer have well intentioned posts vanish into thin air or the return of zombies every time someone deletes a post, I will consider it an improvement.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

This is much worse than I imagined! Fortunately I spent several days copying older threads that were important to me. There was much wisdom and encouragement in those older threads. Those valuable threads are gone forever.

It's very jumbled. I don't see a PWD being able to maneuver. I am having trouble, and I am very experienced with message boards.

Why didn't they continue the Clinical Trials board, which contained much interesting information?

Why not Musings?

I see they eliminated the Chat Rooms. They used to be very useful to me.

I don't see Bold or Italics or Underline.

What is the birthday cake?

What is a badge? What does it mean?

How can we report an inappropriate post?

Why does every username say "member"? Isn't that obvious?

What does "Care" mean?

What does "Flag" mean?

What is the "plus sign" within a circle on my smartphone?

Why can't we "Cancel" a post if we change our mind?

I don't care who's online when I'm online. In fact, I think it's creepy.

I know I will be posting less.

Iris

I figured out the "plus sign"--it means New Discussion.

Iris

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

Iris - I think Flag means report the post. Care is an option similar to Like. Basically an ‘ I understand you are hurting ‘ response.

The plus within a circle appears to be the new ‘add topic’ button.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more