Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New format is idiotic

123457»

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would appreciate the names of other forums that you like? Ive never explored any others but am thinking about it now. I have never joined Facebook or Twitter or any other social media platform and have no intention of doing so, ever.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Maggie Mae, I'd be interested in seeing what others might be out there too. I doubt I'll leave this site because it is "home" to me, and I agree with everything LT said. But you can visit two different sites, without quitting one. I tried the "Careblazers" site on facebook for a while, but I didn't have that "family feeling" I have here. And I don't like facebook!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you know of other serious forums, please share!

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I finally have to agree with what most folks here are saying. I don't like the changes that were made. If I were back at the beginning of my caregiving journey I may not have joined, or even felt comfortable asking for advice about some of the things i was dealing with. (On second thought, out of desperation I probably would've, because I was desperate.) All the people, struggles, support, advice, etc are all the same but the whole site and format don't feel welcoming to me at all. I probably would've just hid in the shadows and read rather than choosing to participate.

Maybe there's something better out there somewhere, maybe not? In the end, it's the people who make this site valuable and will hopefully keep it alive, because sure as shit the people running it won't. The replies to people's comments and suggestions from the "moderator" have been uncaring, without any personality and kind of a joke overall. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the moderator actually is AI. The replies read like a computer would respond rather than how a human would... Total turnoff to me, hell I don't even like talking into a drive through order thing at a fast food place, lol.

Thankfully I don't seriously need the caregiving support anymore since my wife passed. These changes to the forum are allowing me to ween myself off of reading here so often.

• M1

60falcon, I hope you don't leave but feel you are not alone in this. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why it feels different, but it does, doesn't it? I will miss your input if you go on your way. I can understand not sticking around forever after you lose someone--I have thought the same thing in anticipation, though our journey is far from over. But I will truly miss some of the folks here including you.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited April 2023

A couple reasons that make the forum feel different to me:

• AA is disregarding the feedback the users are providing. For example, Several of us have been VERY vocal about how hurtful, insulting, alienating, inappropriate, (to name a few) the cakes are. Our feedback, regarding the cakes is being dismissed. Speaking for myself, that makes me feel my feelings are being dismissed as well.
    • AA failed to consider the needs of their core customer. IMHO people who are impacted by dementia related diseases are:
      • dealing with complications,
      • inundated with demands and time stressors,
      • facing emergent situations, and
      • mired in emotionally devastating dilemma.
    • AA's messaging and the manner in which AA transitioned to the new platform is lacking in kindness, compassion, support and respect. The disease is horrible and terminal and depressing. The members who come here need kindness and compassion and support.
    • Valuable support and information is not being shared by many members because the transition is so exasperating, frustrating and alienating.

I am further dismayed because I feel like my forum family and friends are not being treated with the kindness and respect they deserve. I am hurting because I know other members are hurting too. This is my tribe. These are my friends and family. When you hurt them, you hurt me.

As I said earlier, I will try to make it work because I have to. I have no where else to get the support and information I need. I remain hugely disappointed.

• M1

Well said LT. The removal of the Solutions section is a case in point. there was MUCH good information in those pages that is now nowhere to be had. HUGE loss especially for those just joining. I'm completely baffled--I thought surely that would be carried over.

• noranoler
    noranoler Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    I used to just read this site, but now I decided to register. To be honest, I liked the previous format better. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten used to the new thing yet.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I agree with everything you said, LadyTexan, with the exception of one thing. We, the users, are not the 'core customers'. In my opinion, the core customers are advertisers, marketers, and fundraisers. When you look at it through that lens a lot of the AA behaviors and reluctance to get rid of badges and cakes and stuff, makes more sense. They think all of those things will drive engagement, and engagement is what it's all about.

• M1

Hate to say it/think it,, but feels a bit like we're the animals in the zoo.

• LadyTexan
    edited April 2023

I used the Solutions section often and found the solutions infinitely helpful. WHY in the world, would that critical feature be removed?

I posed the question at the Q&A Thread [link] also

• LadyTexan
    edited April 2023

trying to add a link. Its very clunky.

• dordora
    dordora Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    And I like this new format
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Well, I am starting to get use to the new format. I am hopeful that AA will make the changes that make sense to almost all users.

• LadyTexan

I am glad to see a Solutions thread is now on the forum.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more