Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New format is idiotic

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    This is to Victoria2020: You had posted about one of your posts needing to be approved before it could be posted. The same thing happened to me. I posted three times because I thought I had made an error. Then I saw a small pop-up stating about the need for approval. This is new.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Victoria2020, I am not having much luck with the search function either, it would take me about an hour to play with it and I do not have the willpower. Try finding a post you have made and click on your personal icon. It will tell you how many discussions (posts) and comments you have made, if you click on that number it will display them with newest first. Seems pretty accurate.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

and what happened to our pictures ?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

I'm on an Apple laptop and using Google Chrome browser (not Safari). The only three dots I see appear way up at the top right of the page, marked as "Update" next to my Google sign-in mark. awkward, took at least five minutes to find them. clicking on Update or right-clicking the mouse allow me to cut and paste and copy. But still no bolding, underline, italics, and certainly no delete.

Editing post: The three dots appear once you've posted. Allow additions, and I used the cut function to delete.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

M1, I'm using chrome on a chromebook, so it might be a little different UI from a Mac. But if I wanted to bold type a word (or a lot of words), I can highlight it to get the options in the screenshot.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,409
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I got the message and sent you a reply. Click on your avatar and then on account and settings to check your privacy status

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Iris, thanks for your support. It is so sad for me to see the Clinical Trials board go. It gave out a lot of important information and also pointed out a lot of misinformation put out by some of the big pharmaceutical companies. Not a lot of people posted there but the posts were read by a lot of people.

I intend to keep posting on the upcoming trials. A lot of big announcements are going to happen in 2023. I will probably post them on the spouses and partners caregiver board. I know that you and Crushed and some others here have an interest in science and upcoming therapies and post on that board. One problem that we scientific posters will have is that we can no longer provide links to back up out posts. We can only try to guide the readers about where to find the scientific evidence themselves.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

This is a test regarding links

Copy address of the page on your browser using the standard windows copy function. Go to the leave a comment section of the discussion and do the standard windows paste function.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks Loveskitties. So you can post links after all.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I put "chat" in the search function and found some items it's not clear how to use or interpret. Anybody tried looking there who understands it?

• Iris L.
    Larry, the Comment text box has a "quotation" icon lower left which brings up a box to insert a URL. I hope you do keep posting.
    The beauty of the former boards was that there was something for everyone: for PWDs, for all types of caregivers, for the scientifically-minded, for those in Stage 8, for the Spanish speaking, and for those who wanted to muse. The boards met a variety of needs that are not being met elsewhere. It's a big shame to lose so much!
  • Iris L.
    Does anyone know what the points refer to? I have 29 points.
  • Ed1937

Iris, sorry, but I don't know, and I don't care.

• [Deleted User]
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

At first look, It will take a long time, if ever, to get use to it. I liked the previous program, more compact and more accessible to scan the list of threads.

• Ed1937

What I like: The ability to add pics to a post easily. I don't get logged off without knowing it. It's easy to incorporate a link.

What I don't like: All the "attaboys" - likes, points, levels, cakes, etc. The fonts are not easy to read. Avatars and usernames are too small. And after I posted a rather lengthy reply last night, it has disappeared this morning. No delete button for posts you've written. Default settings should be prioritized for privacy. The loss of a lot of great information from the older posts.

Most of the rest will just take time to get used to.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I don’t like it! I’m not averse to change but there’s no improvement here. It just doesn’t seem as close and intimate as it was before.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I think I've figured out one of the things I find so off-putting about this site - and this could just be me. It feels very antiseptic, very corporate. Our old site didn't feel that way. I'm not sure how I'd remedy that though.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

This new UI is a lot of sizzle and no steak. Seems very impersonal. I don't like it.

• [Deleted User]
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
  • Iris L.

Read what I wrote on the Moderator's thread on the General Topics board.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

From Last Dance Iris how do I fine the the General Topics board? I can't find any of the old heading from Alz connected

• Iris L.

Last Dance, the General Topics board is listed just above the Spouse/Partner board on the dashboard.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,409
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

Easiest way is to open the site, then go to the three lines at the top left. Click on that. Click on the discussions choice, click on supporting someone... That will show you the 4 categories - general topics is the first one.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks to you caregiver warriors, I survived my first stint of caregiving. This community has saved my skin over the years. I am grateful. I hope it will continue to be helpful.

I am adjusting. I have voiced my unhappiness. AA will either implement user feedback or they won't.

I am annoyed and beyond disappointed. I will try to make the new platform work for me on my caregiving journey. I hope you will try too.

Blessings to you all.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

From Last Dance Thanks I found it. Just a shame that they had to complicate the new site.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I suppose you could make uploading a picture more difficult but I dont see how

When you upload a photo its a photo not an avatar

second you cant edit the circle over the photo

Sheesh

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care