Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not using the toilet

krabinskas
krabinskas Member Posts: 2
First Comment First Anniversary

My almost 79 year old mother is going to the bathroom in a bucket because she thinks we’ve had a guy out at the house stating that the plumbing is bad. I’ve tried putting notes up in each of the bathrooms that the plumbing is working. I’ve told me mother that I’m not using a bucket as my bathroom. Anything I say her response is that I’m lying to her.

looking for advice?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My mother saw a snake in her bedroom and was moved to the guest bedroom. 5 years that snake lived in her bedroom and never left.

The plumbing is broken. It will always be broken....sigh.

• MP8
    MP8 Member Posts: 48
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Would she use one of those portable commodes? Not perfect, but maybe better than a bucket, especially if she falls while trying to squat over it.

• aeliasz
    aeliasz Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My mom pees in the recliner in her room during the night. We put a commode in front of it but she’ll move the commode so she can sit and pee in the chair. I have to cover the chair with pee pads. No matter how much I explain to her how to use the commode she won’t use it. There’s a cat urine odor remover called “Natures Miracle” that’s keeping the odor away for now. I’m at my wits end with this cursed disease.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tweet
    Tweet Member Posts: 3
    Third Anniversary First Comment

My Mom did the same, peeing in her trash can. We put a bedside commode in her bedroom. That solved it for us. You could just "go with" the idea that because the plumbing is bad, she should use this commode.

• aeliasz
    aeliasz Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for the advice. We adjusted the height of the commode, I think it may have been too high. It does have arms on each side and a deep bowl. She does sleep with a Depends on but still wants to get up to pee. But…… it’s 7:15 a.m. right now and she hasn’t moved all night. So maybe that stage of peeing in the chair is over? I really appreciate the advice and comments.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more