Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Strong maternal genetics to Alzheimer’s

I am 29 and recently lost my mom to Alzheimer’s. She had early onset around 50-52yo. I was the one who got her diagnosed but was not around for the worst/later stages. She didn’t make it to 60yo. As a baby, I remember my maternal great grandmother had late onset Alzheimer’s as well. And within the past couple years my maternal grandmother has been diagnosed with late onset Alzheimer’s. I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has such strong family genetics linked to the disease and is fearful of their future. It’s such invasive thoughts that sometimes get in and ruin any hopes for a happy, long life. I also feel like I’m the only person who has such fearful thoughts. Hopefully no one else is in my shoes but if you are, I’d like to be support for each other when we get down.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

Hello Haley and a very warm welcome to you. I am so very sorry for what has happened and can understand your concerns. I am not deeply knowledgeable on this topic, but would like to point you to a Forum where you will get more input as this particular Forum is not heavily traveled Forum. It is fine to Post on all Forums even if one does not quite fit the titled category; we all do it.

If you Post your concern on "I Am A Caregiver," you will find much more input from more Members. I would also like to tell you about the Alzheimer's Assn. 24 Hour Helpline that can be reached at, (800) 272-3900. They are available 365 days a year. If you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant. There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia dynamics. They often have much information, they are very supportive even if all we want to do is to talk, and they can often assist us with our problem solving.

We are all here in support of one another and that now includes you too!

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Haley. Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear of your losses. But if it's any consolation, at your age, it is very likely that this disease will be under control by the time you get to the age where it is more commonly found. They are working on new fixes, and I was just reading where one place in England thinks there will be new drugs available within the next year or so. They are already having fantastic results in trials.

• Mlewis501
    Mlewis501 Member Posts: 24
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My mom had 6 siblings (5 sisters and 1 brother).... all had and died from some form of Alzheimers/Dementia but I don't remember my grandmother having. My grandfather died when my mom was in high school so I don't know his medical history. One of the siblings died at an early age. I remember the family calling her crazy. Looking back on it now, it was probably early onset but back then, they didn't have the knowledge of the disease that they have now. Yes, I am very concerned with the genetic link. Having said that I am concerned, I have chosen to NOT have any genetic testing done on myself at this time. I am choosing to try not to worry about the future but instead to be present in the present. I hated watching my mom suffer with this disease and I hated seeing what it did to my aunts and uncle. Being a caregiver has been and was the hardest job I have ever had. My biggest fear is for my children.... seeing me suffer like that or that I could have passed down this gene to them. But again, for today.... I choose to live for today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I may one day change my mind and get tested.... who knows. I wish you a happy, healthy life!

• Sarah_pdx
    Sarah_pdx Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

My mom died in January of ALZ. Her two siblings had already passed of ALZ, probably her father as well, so yes, I know what it feels like to be facing scary genetic possibilities.

For this reason I am focused on living now. I save for retirement (in fact I am saving with the goal of retiring before 60) but I am not putting any experiences off. I will do everything I want to do now. If I am lucky and don’t get ALZ, I will make plans for my “golden years” after I’ve reached them. But with my genetics I am clear eyed about my future prospects.

• korbkelly
    korbkelly Member Posts: 10
    First Comment

Hi there. I'm in the same boat. My maternal grandmother had Alzheimer's for about 10 years, she passed in her mid 70's when I was about 5 years old. My mom just got diagnosed, she's 71 and I'm 33.

Am I fearful of my future? Yes. my Dad's too, as my parents have been married for 41 years. I want to do that test where you can see if you're predisposed to it. I'd rather know now....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more