Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Arline6397
Arline6397 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2023 in Caring for a Parent

I'm one of the new kids here. My mom has had memory issues it seems like forever. She "retired" at 49 due to MS. She is now 76. My stepfather (85) has Parkinson's. Mom was given a neuro-memory test last year. Dr said without a new scan she can't give her memory loss 100% name, but 97% sure Alzheimer's it's name. I'm rolling with that. Mom doesn't want any more testing.

My question is how do you deal/handle/retrain someone (stepdad) to not correct her? THAT alone is making this so much harder. Three weeks ago we moved them into Independent Living. They are further away, but hubby & I seem to be doing just as much. I don't correct my mom. ie. Yesterday she told me she had a surprise visitor. Her cousin (live 2 states away). She was SO excited & animated. I told her she was so lucky, she didn't visit me. He corrected her saying it wasn't her cousin, it was her brother (they don't have a relationship). Argument between them & she stops talking. I've tried to ask/tell him to not correct her as she stops interacting.

I am drowning in emotions. Hubby is there for the (literal) heavy lifting, but NOTHING emotional. I have 3 stepsiblings that don't come around, or aren't helpful when they do. Yes, I am going to counseling. I have way too many things going on. But it is all a part of life.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more