Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bathroom Issues

awomble
awomble Member Posts: 3
First Comment

When my mother goes to the restroom. She does not sit back on the toilet seat and when she goes it runs out the front onto her clothes and the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can handle this? We have a sitter during the day also. When anyone tries to go with her to help her and make sure she sits back she gets mad and says she can go to the bathroom on her own. I had to take the locks off the doors because she would lock us out.

Comments

• Abul1999
    Abul1999 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Hi there. We had the same issue, and while I'm not sure this solved it we put motion sensored, led lights behind the toilet. It seemed to help. I don't know if it helped her scoot back but some how it didnt help. (Also I thought we were the only one with this issue!)
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry you are having this issue.

It's not uncommon. Part of this may be about spatial reasoning; many caregiving spouses also report a PWD who doesn't physically orient themselves normally in the bed either laying diagonally or hanging off the edge.

Also, this loss of the mechanics/logistics of toileting is often a harbinger of becoming incontinent. In the phase just before urinary incontinence, many PWD stop wiping, flushing, handwashing and might dispose of toilet paper (or worse) in odd places.

If she has mobility issues, arms and a raised seat might make it easier for her to sit properly.

She needs assistance in the bathroom. Perhaps you or the caregiver could go in "on an errand" to get her used to having company.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney