Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Support Groups - Virtual

elalynch
elalynch Member Posts: 1 Member
Newbie here. I'm looking for virtual support groups for long distance caregivers. My mom was recently diagnosed with MCI and is resistant (or just flat out isn't doing) to any of the coping recommendations the doctor/social worker have made. She's a 6 hour drive away and on her own (father passed away in 2022). Although I have a sibling, he's not in the same position financially/professionally to offer help). I fear we are at the beginning of a long, sad road. I'm looking for a support group to learn about what others use as coping strategies, techniques that work for dealing with parents with memory issues, things to prepare for along this journey, etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• TXKiwi
    TXKiwi Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

There is a reddit community that deals with long distance care of older parents. https://www.reddit.com/r/remoteAgingParents/ Not very many people yet but it's a start. I'm in the same boat except I live overseas from my family.

• chochee Creed
    chochee Creed Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

I took care of my husband until he had to be put in a nursing home now his brother and sister are trying to keep me from seeing him but that's not happening I'm his wife and I know I have more rights than they do

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more