Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Figuring out double rent

lombat1
lombat1 Member Posts: 1 Member
Hi there! Has anyone experienced this and how did you handle it? My In-laws currently rent. My Mother in Law is considering downsizing to an independent living apartment at a community that also has assisted and memory care available. My Father in Law has dementia and we suspect in less than a year he'll need memory care. They wouldn't be able to afford a memory care residence and also an independent living one at the same time when it came to that. Or maintaining two different rents in general. Has anyone else experienced that and how did you make it work?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Some memory care facilities will allow the spouse to live there at a reduced second person rate. The spouse not needing memory care will be allowed to come and go during the day, buzzed in and out of the locked doors by staff.

Since your mom is considering a continuing care facility, you should inquire what the costs will be if they are in the same part of the facility vs different parts.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more