Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

At Home Care- Language/Hearing Barrier

Jag0922
Jag0922 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hello! I am new here and hoping to find some recommendations in the Dallas area. My mom has early onset and some good days and some bad days lately. Her doctor said she needs companionship at all times, but that's very hard on me and my sister as we work full time jobs. She lives with my sister and because I work from home, I'm able to go over almost every day, but it's getting difficult to keep up at work and be gone a few hours every day.

We are looking for someone who can come over and just provide companionship- talk to her, maybe sit outside with her because she likes to look at her flowers, etc... The challenge in finding someone though is that English is her third language, she's Vietnamese. Plus, she's hard of hearing too and refuses to wear her hearing aids! I'm wondering if anyone knows of a trustworthy person that can provide companionship 2-3x a week for a few hours, that possibly speaks Vietnamese or French or is just patient with her and can sit with her and talk to her. Her English is good, she's a smart lady, used to be an RN, but sometimes her English is hard to understand.

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

Hi Jag,

Does she attend church where there are other Vietnamese or French speakers? If so, asking the pastor for help can be a good place to start.

Maybe these folks can be a good resource... http://vamastexas.org/services/

• MP8
    MP8 Member Posts: 48
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Jag,

Another resource might be Dallas College's health professions programs or just college students. You can also try ESL/ESOL students. There are many Vietnamese speakers in the area and many of them attend the community college. Same with the local universities.

• Jag0922
    Jag0922 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you both, I will look into those!

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 519
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What about her PCP or neurologist? You might contact them and see if they have any references that would fit your need. Or even someone you can fully vet in their office that would be willing to help you out.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney